Help Park Brake Assembly '04 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Park Brake Assembly '04 Explorer

Gaff It

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
Changing rear brakes and rotors on an 04 Explorer 4x4, 4.6. First wheel, no problem. Everything went smooth. Not so with the next. Couldn't get the rotor off. It was rusted on. Star wheel frozen. Used a BFH and it came off. So did the shoe of the park brake assembly. So I go buy new park brakes and all the springs, clips, etc. that go along with it. I also bought a Haynes Manual. For the life of me, I am unable to get the last spring at the top connected. Just can't get it to connect--only 1/2 inch out. Need some more muscle. Anyone know a different or better way to hook this up. Sure wish some of you lived in Springfield Delco. Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use a scratch awl. Place end of spring loop over the shaft of the awl and the tip into the slot where the spring needs to go. Move awl upwards at an angle. Spring should almost pop into slot. Have a flat blade screwdriver handy to give it the final push if it didn't fully pop into slot.

Thanks for your response. Looked all over yesterday for my awl and/or nail puller. Couldn't find either. Was going to go to the hardware store today to buy one. Sounds like you have done this before. Hopefully it worked.

XLT03,

Thank you. Ten minutes after I purchased the awl, the retractable spring was in place. Just took it for a test drive and all is good. Park brake has some "spring" to it now. ;) Thanks again for the tip.

Gotta love this website!!!

Just wanted to let you guys know that this method worked quite smoothly compared to my previous one. Thanks for the tip!

Emergency Rear Brakes

I wanted to thank all of you guys, I followed your instructions, no time to change the shoes for the rear emergency brakes.

Thanks a lot great information

Cheers

Bau:

I am thankful to xlt03 for the tip. I was extremely frustrated that day. It was his little tidbit of information (and technical know how) that saved the day. Funny how things work when you know what to do.

I have to do my brakes in a few weeks, so I'm interested in this thread. What's a BFH and a AWL? can you provide links so i can see what i might need to buy?

thanks

BFH = Big F***** Hammer
AWL = long sharp metal rod like screwdriver but thinner. Google "scratch awl".

BTW you do not need BFH.

Something similar to an ice pick if you are old enough to remember what that looks like. ;)

xlt03 said:
BFH = Big F***** Hammer
AWL = long sharp metal rod like screwdriver but thinner. Google "scratch awl".

BTW you do not need BFH.

And IIRC, "BTW" means "By The Way".... :D

Back