• Register Today It's free!

Help please, won't start

adamp

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt & 2000 xlt
Allright, my wife's 2000 xlt won't start. She drives to the store and when she starts it up to leave, she hears an undescribable sound and the ac, stereo, wipers, and spedo all shut off and she gets a couple of lights on the dash like abs and airbag. So, I tell her to get home and kill it. I get home and try and crank it and its dead, but all the accessories work, ac, stereo, wipers, blinkers, etc...

It seems as though the securi-lock key system has crappped out or something, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I am stumped. I check all fuses, which were fine, I put cables on the bettery and still nothing.

I am thinking it is electrical, but I don't know what. Can you still bump the selenoid on these models. With all the ECM crap, I don't know what you can get away with anymore. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks - Adam (AJPrengler@hotmail.com)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you can still jumper the starter solenoid if that's the problem.

You sure it's not the battery?

My gut says no. The battery has given no signs of failing. Its started perfectly up to this time, granted that guarentees nothing. If I bump the selenoid and it cranks, then I will assume its in the ignition. What really makes me wonder is the strange things that occured when she last started it. By the way, do you know off hand if those models have the mini starter with the selenoid on the starter or still on the fender. Thanks again - Adam

Main solenoid on the fender, one also built into the starter.

Can it be jumped?

Which selenoid would you run a hot wire to to start the car then, the one on the fender or the starter? I only want to bypass the ignition, I don't feel I have to bypass the selenoid yet. Thanks - Adam

You'd jumper the starter solenoid on the fender, but the key still needs to be "on".

Allright, I am going to give that a shot, try and eliminate some things. Any thoughts on the accesories dying? I thought fuse, but they all seem fine, and whatever it was might have been the reason for the no-starting. Thanks again - Adam

That's why I'm still thinking battery.

Back