Help Removing Steering Column From Rack & Pinion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Removing Steering Column From Rack & Pinion

Chris Harrach

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
Greetings all. Ive been informed that my Rack & Pinion needs replacing. Ive got a new one all ready to go in, but I cant figure out how to get the old rack loose from the end of the steering column. Does anyone know how to disconnect the steering from the old Rack & Pinion? Its located in a very tight space, and I cant see in there to locate or identify anything that looks like its holding it in place. Ive found a lot of great information including videos, showing how to remove the old rack, but nothing showing the location or the technique on how to disconnect this. Very frustrating. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a pinch bolt just under the joint on the steering shaft. I could get a socket on mine using a swivel and some extensions going right through the front by the power steering cooler

There is a pinch bolt just under the joint on the steering shaft. I could get a socket on mine using a swivel and some extensions going right through the front by the power steering cooler

Thanks for the reply mr_valingo . I still had a hard time locating it. So I went to the local Pull A Part , which I like to call my "Automotive Classroom", and found exactly where this pinch bolt was located, and what it looked like. Im hoping it wont be in there too tight when I try taking it out. I'll probably end up taking a lot of surrounding parts loose or off, just to make this as easy as I can. However, I'm still concerned about the steering wheel/column, when I remove the rack. I've read that its supposed to be kept straight and to tie it or secure it with the seat belt or a rope. But would'nt locking the steering wheel in place accomplish the same thing? I'm not thrilled at the thought of ruining the clock spring, during this process.:salute:

Rack & Pinion: Mission Complete.

Finally got the rack installed in the truck. Man was that a struggle! (it was just me doing it) It really gave me a fight. All in all it took 3 days to do this in my front drive way. I also replaced the outer Tie Rods while I was at it.:thumbsup: I also replaced the Camber/Caster bolts with a kit from Napa Auto Parts, as every place that I went to, to get an alignment prior to this, said that I needed the Camber/Caster Kit to do it. I still dont know why this has to be done in order to get proper alignment. Maybe someone on the forum who knows about this can let me know. But so far so good. No leaks, and the steering wheel is straight for the first time in months :salute:

Back