Rack & Pinion Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rack & Pinion Help

Biniecki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have a 96 Explorer Sport V6 4.0 4x4 that needs the rack and pinion replaced. I have removed the A/C compressor and the Power Steering pump as I decided it would probably be a good idea to replace the pump at the same time. I have gotten the sway bar off and outer tie rods disconnected. I have loosed the bolt holding the intermediate shaft to the rack but can't get the shaft to come off. Any suggestions? Not sure if I have to remove the top bolt as well and pull the entire shaft out or if there should be enough play to pop up upward and off. Also I don't know what the lower nut size is for the rack/cooler mount. I have tried 15/16" and its too small and 1" is too big. My socket set jumps from 22mm to 27mm. Going off a conversion chart it looks like i need a 24mm or 25mm. Was just wondering if anyone knew for sure what size it was. If not I guess it wouldn't hurt to just buy 23mm - 26mm to add to the set lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

15/16 = 23.8125MM; 1 inch = 25.4mm, so if 1" is too big, 24 or 25mm should be right.

Yeah thats what I pretty much what i figured out. Anyone know how to get the intermediate shaft off the rack?

I got some new sockets this weekend and found that 25mm fits pretty well. However I think a deep well is necessary to remove the bolt. I am still having problems removing steering shaft. Can anyone tell me how to remove it? I have remove the clamping bolt near the rack and not sure if it should just slide off or if I need to remove the top bolt as well. Any guidance is greatly apprieciated. Thanks

if you have removed the 13mm(?) bolt from the lower part of the steering shaft, you should be able to just wiggle a pry bar under the shaft and pry it off. that rack is a mother (bleeper) to get out,

Thanks for the info. I was able to pop the shaft off the other night. I got some regular sockets for the rack bolts but ended up needing to get some deep well ones. For anyone that needs to know the size, they are 24mm but a 15/16 will work but its kinda tight. I loosened the rack and now its just a matter of trying to get the damn thing out. I am replacing the pump at the same time so I have a little more room. I was not able to get the pressure line off that goes to the pump so hopefully it comes off once i get it out or just buy a new one.

My biggest problem is that I was not able to get the tie rod off of the inner rod on the driverside. I also had to cut it from the steering knuckle as the castle nut had rusted and stripped out. The passenger side all came apart a lot better. I am hoping to be able to rent an inner tie rod tool to remove the inner rod on the passenger side and then have enough room to pop the rack out on that side and pull the drive side threw. Otherside I may need to cut part of the inner tie rod on the driver side to be able to get it out

Back