Help: Replacement of rear vent glass!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: Replacement of rear vent glass!!

slapthefunkyfou

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
I did do a search, but nobody was replacing the vent glass, just the main window.

Well, so far I've taken off the door panel, removed the rivets, and I can now freely move around the main window, but I can't get it to come out. I used to have a chilton's manual, but it got soaked in my mud adventure and I remember reading in there that you have to remove the main window to get the vent glass out.

Luckily, I don't have to worry about removal of the vent glass since some jerk broke it when the robbed my stereo, but I can't figure out how to put the new piece in.

I can get the new piece in partway, but there doesn't seem to be enough room to get the molding back into place.

Thanks in advance, Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front door ? or rear ?

If front tip
the main glass so the angeld part is verticle, then lift.
That gets the main glass out.

Rear,
ya gotta remove the little " wing window "

on second gen it comes out WITH the window channel, I am pretty sure first gen is the same.

Pull the wing window up and forward.
Lift the main glass out

MONMIX said:
Rear,
ya gotta remove the little " wing window "
That little "wing window" is what I have to replace. Technically it's already removed cause some jerk broke it. But getting it back in, hmmmmmm..........

do you have just the glass ?

I have the glass and the molding/weatherstrip. I have all the parts, I just can't get the main window out so I can put the little wing window in.

Anyone else? Anybody? Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?

like I said,
If you have the rivits removed, rock the glass forward so the slanted part is verticle.
Lift upward.

When I did mine I did not have to remove the main window. I just rolled the main one down so that I could remove the weather stripping and window surround (I believe it was all one piece). There is a bolt inside the door frame that holds the divider/window channel that that separates the two pieces of glass. Once the bolt is removed you can pull out all of the window surround/weather stripping and put the little vent window in its home. Then just work it all back into place and don't forget to guide the divider part onto the main window (still in the door) and replace the bolt that holds it in place. Sorry I don't have any pics to better explain what I mean. If you removed the rivets already, make sure that you have the correct size rivets to put back in.

Thanks stretch. I'll work on it agin tomorrow.

Back