Help !! - rough idle / lack of power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help !! - rough idle / lack of power

williammoore

Reaction score
City, State
Perth, Scotland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4.0 V6
:rolleyes: a Couple of weeks ago my 1996 Explorer 4.0 sohc started running really rough on idle and the power on acceleration is now really bad + its drinking gas - like 10 mpg. One day it would not start - but eventually got it going but keeping my foot right down and the gas pedal. It also used to stall alot.

Ford say there are no codes in computer to say whats wrong and they are stumped.

I've changed the plugs and leads. Changed the throttle body, cleaned the MAF and IAC and still no luck.

so far my bill from the garage is $700 and still no further forward.

Can anyone help me.

Willie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the fuel pressure regulator? How about the O2 sensors? You would think that the truck would give a code..but not always

Replaced both the o2 sensors about 4 months ago (unless one of them is dodgy)

But what about the fuel pressure regulator?

ok going to check that thanks - also could it be anything to do with the timing (chain tensioner ) ???

check the intake manifold O rings!!! I have heard a lot about the 4.0L OHC leaking at these places and causing it to run lean. this would cause the problems you describe, and not neccessarily throw a code.

George

williammoore said:
:rolleyes: a Couple of weeks ago my 1996 Explorer 4.0 sohc

I just noticed, you have a 1996 SOHC. In the U.S., that engine wasn't introduced until 1997.

No it is a 4.0 sohc (its a late 1996) but classed as a 1997 model), Will also check the O rings - Thanks

Back