Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
my wife 99 sohc really starts rough and sometimes stalls. 74k on her. No check engine light though. Still get good gas milage to 21-23. idles kinda rough until warm. but does this weird start up.

turn key: goes to 3000 rpm then to 500 then 1000 then back to 500 and slowly comes back to 700 or 800.:confused:

Help!! Thinking of new plugs and wires. Maybe O2 sensor and maybe EGR.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Intake manifold could need tightening or your IAC may be dirty/bad.

Intake manifold O-Rings are bad. Search 00M12 or rough idle on cold start for more info. Too bad, fix was covered by Ford until 72K. See you have 74K now. Can be done yourself. Is a very good writeup w/pics on the site. If you haven't, have Ford to 01M01 while they are at it. That one is to 100K I think.

you gotta be kidding me!

only 72k it's good till!!! It had 72k only last week! we just took it are honeymoon!

Ooops! :D No fear. The fix is easy. My woman and I did it to hers in a few hours. Only cost $50 for the kit too. You might find a dealer willing to give the newly weds a break though. :D

If you can turn a wrench, you can replace the upper and lower intake gaskets yourself with little trouble. I did mine myself just a few weeks ago and it only took a couple of hours. If you need instructions, just ask. It's kind of simple if you look at it though.

how about this?

does ripping apart the enttire front susp. of my old 96 ranger count? O'yeah it all worked when i put the new stuff in and *****en too!! Kinda sorry i sold it

Might wanna check your IAC too. Mine was doing that, and the dealer replaced the IAC under warranty, and the problem went away.

Back