HELP!!! Running Hot. 1999 Ford Explorer Sport SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! Running Hot. 1999 Ford Explorer Sport SOHC

robs99xsport

Reaction score
City, State
Johns Creek, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I need help. My Explorer randomly started running hot yesterday. I come home park, went out about 30 min to get a tail light bulb from autozone and it started running hot. Today I went to the store and on the way there it was fine. I left and while idling at a traffic light it stated running hot again. The coolant reservoir was bubbling as if air were coming up the tube. I don't know much about cars so I need help. This sport is my 1st car and I love it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More than likely your thermostat has gone bad which is a cheap fix. Just search the forum for instructions how to replace it.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I need help. My Explorer randomly started running hot yesterday. I come home park, went out about 30 min to get a tail light bulb from autozone and it started running hot. Today I went to the store and on the way there it was fine. I left and while idling at a traffic light it stated running hot again. The coolant reservoir was bubbling as if air were coming up the tube. I don't know much about cars (I'm 16) so I need help. This sport is my 1st car and I love it.

Mine is doing the same thing. I am thinking themostat?

I second the thermostat. Don't let it overheat. If you need to take it out to get the stat and coolant watch the gauge and if you turn on the heat that helps too.

I second the thermostat. Don't let it overheat. If you need to take it out to get the stat and coolant watch the gauge and if you turn on the heat that helps too.
My heat doesn't work. The hoses got disconnected/removed before me and I haven t fixed it yet.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are getting air in the overflow tank/reservoir, I bet you have a bad head gasket. However, I would FIRST pop the radiator cap when the engine is cool and be sure the radiator is full and that you have coolant in the reservoir. If not, then fill the radiator and fill to the fill line in the reservoir. Run the engine or drive around the block a couple times, let it cool again,then recheck the reservoir. If it still has coolant in it, check the radiator. If they are low, fill and go through the process again. Keep an eye on the coolant levels. If you are loosing coolant, and no apparent leaks, then have the coolant system pressure tested.

Air bubbles aren't good.

Check the oil on the dipstick- does it look like oil or cappichino? If it looks more like something you'd drink, then a bad head gasket is the most likely cause.

If it is the thermostat, also replace the radiator cap.

i would also check to see if your fan cluth is working, i had the same problem with my 91 explorer. i changed out the thermostat, the hoses and the radiator.
and it still wanted to over heat, only when i was idle ing. came to find out that the fan clutch was the one causing all the problems.

i would also check to see if your fan cluth is working, i had the same problem with my 91 explorer. i changed out the thermostat, the hoses and the radiator.
and it still wanted to over heat, only when i was idle ing. came to find out that the fan clutch was the one causing all the problems.
I think it has something to do with the fan because the temp goes down a little when I'm moving.

Also if this helps it idles rough. Every now and then it will rev up to 1500rpm then back down without me doing anything.

Also if this helps it idles rough. Every now and then it will rev up to 1500rpm then back down without me doing anything.

it sounds like you are having more than one problem at a time.
to check if its your fan clutch, while the truck is turned off, try and spin the fan with your hand, if its good, you will feel some resistance on the fan. if its bad you will notice that it spins really easy, no resistance.
as far as the idleing you might want to check your sensors.
remember these trucks don't have carburators anymore, god a miss the old days.
i still love my truck tho.:cool:

I think it has something to do with the fan because the temp goes down a little when I'm moving.
You can check/look at any number of things to cause it to overheat. But, if you don't have enough coolant in the system, it's going to overheat, driving or not. You did follow my earlier post about having enough coolant, didn't you??? If you have the proper amount of coolant, then you have another problem. But the bad sign is the air bubbles in the reservoir.

it is most likely that you thermostat is stuck closed causing the coolent to boil because its not passing through the radiator. Another thing you should check is if you are using the correct coolant for the vehicle and if the mixture are mixed correctly.

it is most likely that you thermostat is stuck closed causing the coolent to boil because its not passing through the radiator. Another thing you should check is if you are using the correct coolant for the vehicle and if the mixture are mixed correctly. Also check for air traaped in the system and leaks.

as "suggested", its more than likely "bad news"... bubbles isn't good plus rough running isn't good. If in doubt, pull your thermostat, maximum flow will result and you should never see "hot" unless you have other "problems".

I looked at the dipstick and it didn't really look that brown. If it is a head gasket would it be worth it to have replaced? I think my dad is taking it to the shop tomorrow. It had been running fine all day, and I come home for a bit then went out and it just ran hot suddenly.

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Turns out it was the water pump. I'm going to get it fixed this weekend.

Back