Help Tranny and spedo are eratic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Tranny and spedo are eratic

benford

Reaction score
City, State
perth
Year, Model & Trim Level
spedo jumps around and then goes to 0 and changes gear very wierd od light flashes and check transmision is on display its a 02 explorer in australia and no one canhelp me so far

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start by getting the tansmission code pulled. I'm sure you have an Auto Parts Store, or a transmission shop; Mabie even a local Ford dealer that can do this.

Your output speed sensor is going bad. Not exactly sure where they're located on this tranny, but that's the sensor that drives the speedo, and without it can also cause erratic shifts/no shifts. Essentially it'll be in a "limp home" mode where it's stuck in one forward gear. Yours sounds like it's just starting to get a little wierd, so replacing it should do the trick.

Your output speed sensor is going bad. Not exactly sure where they're located on this tranny, but that's the sensor that drives the speedo, and without it can also cause erratic shifts/no shifts. Essentially it'll be in a "limp home" mode where it's stuck in one forward gear. Yours sounds like it's just starting to get a little wierd, so replacing it should do the trick.

I agree, output speed sensor.
Not sure where it is on a 3rd gen but probably the same as a 2nd Gen. Its on the transmission.
My father had to replace it on his 96 and had the same symptoms.
Speed would "wobble" and cruise wouldn't work because of it.
Wasn't a too expensive part if I remember correctly. and labor wasn't bad either, he probably could have done it himself. But at this stage in his life he has the $$ to pay someone.. unlike myself..

My Durango had the same thing with the erratic speedo. Really wierd when the cruise is on and the speedo freaks out, the cruise will either accelerate or decelerate proportionate to what the speedo is reading.

Back