HELP! Trans. Issues, recently rebuilt, shop cant figure it out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Trans. Issues, recently rebuilt, shop cant figure it out.

Mustangman66

Reaction score
City, State
Tolland CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 4dr Explorer, v6
So heres my 2003 ford explorer 4 door. It has 125k on the clock. the transmission failed (Blinking O/D light of death) a shop with a good reputation rebuilt the transmission.

and then this:

http://youtu.be/9Lv1HBiNf6U

Most obvious begins at 7:10. Good example at 3:40, other incidents happen at 0:20, 0:58 1:42 3:09 4:15 4:55 6:15

Sometimes when transmission shifts, It wont engage the next gear immeadiatly, allowing the engine to "Rev Up" briefly. Sometimes the transmission wont engage the next gear for several seconds.

In my honest opinion the transmission is not preforming anywhere near as well as before you rebuilt it. It shifts differently. the gear lever does not go into drive when you put it in drive, you have to give it a little tap to get it into drive. the whole car sounds diffrent, and not in a good way, idle noise is MUCH louder then stock.

Does Anybody have any idea why my transmission is doing this?
Please Help!

Did the trans shop replace the valve body? How about the solenoid pack? If they did I bet they are not new? The problems you are having are pointing to the solenoid pack,possibly the valve body.

I agree. have seen this a few times in the past couple of months. it was dirt in the valve body or a solenoid pack that has fixed the problem. a good scanner should pick up on this problem.
I work in a transmission shop and we work on a lot of these.

Back