HELP!! Transmission jerking! Need direction! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! Transmission jerking! Need direction!

07ironmanv8

Reaction score
City, State
Jordan, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
Hey guys! Im having a brain melting issue! So! Here is the chain of events and symptoms.

Had the typical trans shutter issue at 110k. Got it flushed and new mercon sp added. Everything is good.

Now at 116k...
Codes:
U0101- lost communication with trans control module
U1900- lost communication with abs, instrament, and 4x4 modules
(Forgot code number) heat catalyst bank 1 below threshold
CAN NETWORK fault

Dash lights on- Wrench, ABS, trac cont.

Symptoms:
Start truck- no warning lights, no issues, runs n acts perfect.
Reverse-typically fine. Sometimes will get jerkey and "limp mode"
Drive- slow accelerations truck will typically get moving and hit the gears just perfect. Fast accelerations, truck will speed up accordingly, then downshift hard and cause a jerking motion like the trans is locking up then losing its place and limp modes for half a second. Rpms will climb and speedo will drop. Once it skips around a few times it will find the right spot and will take off accordingly. However it doesnt seem to be a constant occurance. Sometimes it will take off and run like a bat out of hell. Other times it will skip all around and engauge/disengauge the trans back and forth.

What i have checked/done-
-Abs tone rings- they are the upgraded rings that are thicker.
-I have unpluged each abs speed sensor individually then test drove and nothing changed.
-Unplugged the abs module, nothing changed.
-unplugged the 4x4 module, nothing changed.
-Checked voltage at tps. Looks normal.
-had alternator and battery tested on the truck. Tested good.
-trans fluid is full and clean.
-the transfer case is full and clean
-diffs are full and clean.
-no broken wires that i have found.
-had snap-on scanner on it. All vss rear even and equally.

Other things noticed-
-Speedo will drop when i hit the throttle and it will only drop when the trans acts up.
-holding the break and accellerating seems to help the jerking issue only at times.
-the issue will only happen upon acceleration. Heavy or light.
-the issue is irratic and not consistant.
-all plugs to everything are clean and connect properly....

Bottom line... I understand how everything communicates and i understand more than the basics. But this one here blows my fn mind. Ford charged me 115$ just to tell me the codes and wanted 600$ for full diagnostic. I dont think the answer can be that dam complicated. I feel im missing something... But what!? Has anyone had anything like this??? Iv serched every possible explorer site and they all lead to tone rings and one to battery failure. It is neither. HELP!!!!

07 4.6l 6r60 ironman 4wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody??? Has anyone experienced anything close to this!?

Not one person on here as a single clue what im talking about huh???

Checked you 4WABS module if the connector is loose or corroded. It located under the battery and can only be reach lying down under. This happened to me after bringing my ex for detailing. Be careful though when trying to check it, it is made all of plastic. I broke the clip when i try to fix it back. Ended up with a bit of epoxy. If this checks out fine, suspect the transmission soleniod wire harness. This wire tends to crack over time since it is exposed to heat and water from AC condensate drain. Good luck

I would post this over in the transmission section and see if those guys have any idea. There are some very experienced tranny guys that hang out over in that forum.

I would post this over in the transmission section and see if those guys have any idea. There are some very experienced tranny guys that hang out over in that forum.

Wow. Why didn't you tell him this earlier instead of wasting time waiting for someone to pitch in.

Fritz: i have checked all plugs going to any of the modules mentioned. And funny side note. I got the abs plug popped from the top side. Took a second to figure out how it worked but i got it.

Flag: i will do so. Hopefully ill get some good feedback. I just dont think this is directly related to the internals of the trans. It has to be a wiring or computer thing...

Wow. Why didn't you tell him this earlier instead of wasting time waiting for someone to pitch in.

LOL, I have been on vacation and completely unplugged from the electronic universe so please forgive me. :)

Back