HELP! Trying to remove dash, WONT budge! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Trying to remove dash, WONT budge!

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
So ive done everything on this write up
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230020&highlight=blend+door that it says todo, besides this part:

[small]"Once you get the 'small' things unplugged, you need to move onto the 1 large connection on the far left of the firewall. From the Engine side of the firewall, you need to slide the Power Distribution Center up and away from it's mount to gain access to the 10mm
bolts that hold the 3 seperate medium connectors to the 1 large connector you saw from the interior. Once that is done, and the 3 connectors are moved out of the way, push a small flat head screwdrive in the Left and Right sides of each connector to release the clips from the sheetmetal. Once released, the connectors will fall towards the interior of the vehicle."[/small]

I have no clue where thats at, so I figured, id get the bolts out, then id figure it out where the dash wasnt moving from, well its not moving at all. I took the 3 fuse panel ones off, the 2 lower steering column ones off, the 2-13mm bolts out from the windshield, and then theres 2 more 7mm ones that are at such an angle so close to the windshield i cant get them out, is it those two that are holding me back still? I need to find te mini socket extension, i have enough for my 1/2" socket i could get a bolt from the radio, all the way from the cargo hatch.

I basically need to know, are those 2 bolts critical to remove, and then where is that big power connector located in my 95...?
I would appreciate it so much if someone could take and post a few pics, or tell me where its at and what to do with some detail lol.

Thanks in advance guys!
(This is the last thing that needs to be painted before im done :D)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally just got that power strip thingy out, took me forever but I got it, now the dash STILL wont budge....Theres those 2 black ones (7mm) left, but then I seen a golden colored one, do I need to remove that too? I think it had an allen head in it too....

Here is a different writeup, maybe it will help

Dead Link Removed

It's difficult for us to say without pictures. Plus, it's been a while since I pulled the dash. But if it's not moving at all, you have more than just one or two fasteners attached. It should be loose in some places by now.

That other link that was posted...THAT IS HORRIBLE! Do I seriously have to remove my damn windsheild washer tank and all that? Ill stick with a tan dash in my interior if thats the case...

I got that BIG plug thingy out, after about 30 mins of hell, and a broken surround lmao but yea. Im just stuck (for all I know) with the 2 7mm bolts that are on an impossible angle without an extension so im gonna go try to find mine, I have like 4 of them, but like usual when I need them theyre GONE!

the ones that are under the windshield need like 2 or 3 angled extensions to get the dash out... it's a ball ache to do a dash swap... I know, I've done one... took about 17hrs... once the dash is out, just take the dash skin off, and reskin it.. then put it back in... much easier than taking all the loom off the dash n messing about

Si

There are 3 nearest the windshield. 2 above the steering column. and 1 above the Glove Box. They are Gold Colored. I have used 2 Universal joints to make the turn. But I have also done it straight on, as shown in the thread I posted. I also put a towel on the glass to protect it from damage.

Here are the screws that MUST be removed. The Purple Boxed ones are 7mm, and MUST be removed to release the dash plastic/vinyl. The Blue Boxed ones are the 13mm Gold screws that hold the BODY of the dash in place.

Ryan

Thank god! I finnally got mine away from the firewall, but now im stuck again.

blueka...how do i do that? Because the whole purpose of this is so I can paint my dash black.......

there a whole load of littel black screws that you need a socket to remove on the underside of the dash... this enables you to remove the outer skin of the dash and leave the framework and loom in one piece.. you can then take it off and do whatever, I just swapped mine for a grey one instead of the light coloured thing I had...

Si

That other link that was posted...THAT IS HORRIBLE! Do I seriously have to remove my damn windsheild washer tank and all that?

That link is dead on the money...if you are pulling the interior a/c plenum to replace a blend door or heater core. But to just pull the dash, the evaporator case doesn't need to be removed. So....if you have the dash out, for just a bit more work, you could pull the plenum and replace the heater core and blend door. It they are getting long in the tooth, now is the time to replace them.

Ditto, there are a ton of bolts to remove, but just keep at it patiently.

Back