HELP!!! turn signals/hazards not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! turn signals/hazards not working

headrush

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
Ok guys well I done goofed. I was in the process of replacing my multifunction switch the 2nd time and after plugging everything in I now have no turn signals and no hazards. To make matters worse some of the wires started coming out of one of the plastic pieces that are plugged into the multifunction switch and I'm not sure how to line them back up. Any help with this??

As for the turn signals and hazards themselves the fuses are fine. The flasher relay is something I've heard about on here (and once I looked for it under the dash I was able to find it, I think.) but I can't find it at any auto parts store. Don't know if this is the problem...I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

-Cliff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fix the wiring, probably the problem. The tabs break in the wiring connector and then the wires come out. You can buy a new connector for the mf switch.

Any idea how to fix the wiring? a diagram I can go by or should I just by a new connector?

You are in luck since we share the same year. This pinout is good for year 1997 only. It may also apply to other years, but don't count on it.

5125584069_c8685a151f.jpg

Link to larger photo

If the wires won't stay in place you might need to crimp on some new disconnects. Or in a pinch some hot glue might help.

Thank you! I think I've got it, except now I'm getting that buzzing noise from the flasher relay...where the heck do I find one of these things? Advance and O'Reillys didn't have any.

The turn/hazard flasher is not a relay although it looks like one. It provides a pulsed voltage to the lamps when you close the circuit with the Multi-function switch. If that failed you would not get turn signal flashes when the MFS was activated. Search RockAuto or Advance Auto Parts for "turn flasher" under your make and model and it should come up for about $15.

There is a park lamp relay if that failed you would not get the turn/park lamps to come on when using Autolamps or the remote lock. A park lamp relay failure could also possibly cause the turn/park lamps not to come on when the headlamp switch is activated.

Out of curiosity why did you need to replace the MFS twice?

Any idea how to fix the wiring? a diagram I can go by or should I just by a new connector?

buy a new connector, it will have intact tabs. best solution is to get a new one.

Out of curiosity why did you need to replace the MFS twice?

My first one, which I bought on ebay broke...the spring or gear that automatically turns your signals off once you've made the turn didn't work anymore. So I bought a new one for about 18 bucks from YourPartStore.com.

I'm in the process of fixing the wiring. Will let you know how it goes.

Fixed it! Thanks to OneLever's diagram I was able to line all the wires back up in their correct spots...most once situated correctly just snapped back in...hot glue did the rest. Thank you for all your help.

There's a metal wire with blue plastic at the end of it below the ignition switch that controls the chime when the keys are still in the ignition. I've never noticed it before. Anybody know what the correct placement for it is? It just seems to hang there.

You're welcome.

There's a metal wire with blue plastic at the end of it below the ignition switch that controls the chime when the keys are still in the ignition... Anybody know what the correct placement for it is?

I have just posted pictures of that area in another thread . If you haven't already fixed it can you identify exactly which wire you're talking about? If you need a better picture of the underside of the steering column I have some.

Back