HELP: Why am I having a hard time passing emissions | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP: Why am I having a hard time passing emissions

I haven't changed the air temp yet. I've checked it before and it seemed working. Haven't tried it at the computer.

With two cans of seafoam, white smoking though a vacuum line. I still fail with high hc. Up to 400 hc this time.

I can only fail one more time. Or move to another area or sale the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might be a shoot in the dark (but it helped me to pass emission once): Have you ever tried Premium gas?

I did that on the first test. Still failed.

I've been told about the alcohol thing. Using a gal of it to two gallons of gas.

I have a guy I'm going to take it to in the morning that says he can get it to pass.

FINALLY GOT IT TO PASS!!!! Parently there was too much carbon on the back of the butterfly plus the PCV valve was stuck, causing extra air.

Passed with 56 HC > Limit 220 HC

Thanks for everybody's input!!!

Wow! Congratulations!

But a stupid question: what is a butterfly?
(non-native English speaker)

Thanks!
It's in the throttle body. The butterfly controls the airflow. Just take the intake hose off and you'll see a brass disc. Thus called a butterfly. Every engine has one or more.

D'uh! Ok, thank you.

..Glad to see you stuck with it and got it fixed..Congrats...:biggthump

Back