Help!! Wife's 99 SOHC XLTw/75k miles Keeps Stalling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!! Wife's 99 SOHC XLTw/75k miles Keeps Stalling

PuppDogg_20

Reaction score
City, State
Arkadelphia, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I hope someone can point me in the right direction on figuring out why this truck stalls so here go's:

When You turn the ignition you can hear the fuel pump humm for a few sec. and then turn over the engine. The truck starts for a sec. or two then stalls. When it stalls I can hear the fuel pump humm for a few sec. then stop thus I don't think the fuel pump is bad or is it?

After the first stall I have to turn the ignition over again, This time I have to keep my foot on the accelerator idling around 1500 rpm. If I take my foot of the accelerator, the rpm drop to 500 and the stalls.

This problem had persisted a few weeks ago during a cold spell of at or below freezing temps. But then all I had to do was after the first stall, turn the ign. and maintain the same accelerator pressure up to 1500 rpm and after a few minutes the vehicle would idle on it's own. Now you can't take your foot off the accelerator or it will stall.

In order to move the vehicle, I must keep one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas maintaining at least 1000 rpm. I then move into drive or reverse depending on my parked position. once I start moving the vehicle the engine sounds and runs fine until I come to a stop or take my foot of the accelerator and the rpm drops again to to zero and stalls while stopped or going down the road.

I'm really sorry for being so long winded, but Just want to make sure the group has all the details that I can rember up to now.

I have had the following engine repairs made within the last year:

*I had 00m12 recall service performed this time last year.
*I replaced the fuel filter two weeks ago.

Thx in advance for any Ideas that will keep from having to go to ford dealer and get mandatory service fee for just letting your vehicle through their doors and then charging you and arm and a leg for something My brother and I could do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check and clean your IAC, MAF and check your TPS voltage and make sure its at .96. You can do a search on the above topics with many results.

I had a similar problem on a 92 Explorer XLT. When the problem first came up there was a loud pop (backfire sound). It was actually the air hoses blowing off of their little cluster. Check that and see if that is the problem, if so it's a very easy fix. Hope the X get's fixed soon...

Thx Boomin X,
I went out and bought a TPS and was surprised how easy it was to install. unfortunately I didn't have a volt meter to check and or adjust the new TPS. So I cleaned the IAC and the MAF and hoped wy wife could get by driving locally over the weekend until a shop opens on Monday. Well the truck starts but idles in drive at or below 500 rpm when stopped, causing it to stall again hence the problem of needing a volt meter to check and adjust the new TPS.

ALso a new problem arose probably due to the bad idling with the new TPS, but the check engine came on after 4 or 5 hrs of local driving. I beleive a 1147 or 1141 code came up from the Autozone guy who pulled the code. It says a down stream 02 sensor was not getting hot enough exhuast. Could this be due to the new TPS not being adjusted. We just replaced a right rear 02 sensor about a year and a half ago .

it is P0141 heated oxygen sensor fault. try a new iac. often on problems like these you fix one and you will fix the other. but 02 sensors do go bad. did you replace it with a cheapie

I would have to call the repair shop (tomorrow) that replaced the previous 02 sensor and find out what kind and where they got the 02 sensor

I dont know if this will help but my 99 SOHC did the same exact thing as yours does. Got everything replaced MAF, IAC, TPS, O2 sensors and such. Still stalled. Until one day I was backing my car out of its parking spot, put the car in reverse and it slammed into gear, and stalled out. Tried restarting , no go , the car wouldnt move. Called the Ford Garage, had it towed in, something was wrong with the torque convertor and flywheel. Both had to be replaced. Good thing my car has PremuimCare ESP. It I dont know if this is what is wrong with your car. But my car had about the same miles when it happened. Car still stalls once and a while but only when it is so humid that it cant breath.

Well I took the EX to the local dealer to check the lower intake gasket for leaks since they did perform the recall work.

They informed me that the gasket is okay and since he couldn't charge me for checking the recall service he believes the problem may be the "Air Bypass Valve".

Ford could run the dyno but that (to nobody's surprise) would cost me $65.

So I'm Back to Square One.

Thx for all the suggestions. :(

I had the same problem with my 99 x. It was the IAC. I notice that you didnt say that you replaced that. I would try that.

Idle Air Control valve. Same thing happened on my '99. Cleaning it didn't help, so I replaced the whole valve and she was as good as new

Back