Help wiring trailer brake..98 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help wiring trailer brake..98 explorer

Robdust

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
Does anybody have a schematic for wiring trailer brakes. Bought a tent trailer. Installed class 3 hitch today. since the car did not have tow package when I bought it used, I'm starting from scratch. There appears to be enough wiring for lights plumbed in under driver side brake light. I would appreciate help for wiring the trailer brake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anybody have a schematic for wiring trailer brakes. Bought a tent trailer. Installed class 3 hitch today. since the car did not have tow package when I bought it used, I'm starting from scratch. There appears to be enough wiring for lights plumbed in under driver side brake light. I would appreciate help for wiring the trailer brake

try E-trailer ,they have the trailer wiring kits. kits plug in behind tail lights, no splicing.

http://www.etrailer.com

I was told I had to run wiring through the entire vehicle for electronic brakes. Because how would I get wiring to controller

The stock wire harness connector is for markers, brakes, and turn signals only. You are correct that a separate electric brake controller must be installed and run to the rear plug you are using. It isnt really too difficult to do, just be sure to use heavier guage wire (10 or 12 guage is good) and put in 2 in-line fuses (1 before the controller, and 1 between the controller and the plug) to avoid potential risks from shorting or overloading. Some people run the wiring under the truck along the frame. You can also run the wire behind the body molding inside the truck up the front pillar and back along the roof line to come out on the left rear side jack compartment. Its fairly easy to do and will protect your wire from the elements. You can get a good servicable electric brake module for $50-75 depending on brand/model.

Thanks this helps a bit. I do have a tekonsha voyager. I just need to figure out what I need from here. You are helping me get on my feet

I just wired my 99. I ran three 10 Gauge wires (need three for what I'm doing)from engine compartment to rear compartment on drivers side.
START-Theres a big rubber grommet in firewall,punch a hole through that and push your black controller power wire through to a 20 amp auto reset breaker you will install. and the white ground wire to battery.
Now run your blue 10 gauge wire if thats all you need, down along the tray at door,after removing the snap in strip along the rocker panel. The tray has all the wires going to back.Now the panels on the sides will snap open after removing the screws and seat belt brackets to allow them to pull out on the bottom. You can now easily fish the wire/wires to the back jack compartment.I put the wires inside one of them flexable protective covers.Its a little work but I didn't want wires under the truck.

They only sell 10 gauge wire in 8 ft coils at auto zone ect. about a dollar a foot.Yikes.
Go to a real auto parts store that sells it by the foot,you will need about 14 feet.,more if you have a four door. Measure it if you can. I paid 58 cents a foot that way.

bc_wirediagram.gif

Attachments

• bc_wirediagram.gif
    bc_wirediagram.gif
    47.2 KB · Views: 11,180

Just don't go through the grommet for the steering shaft. My trucks previous owner did and one day i almost wrecked my truck. The controllers ground line caught the steering bolt under the hood and wrapped around the steering shaft and the wheel would not return to center so I no longer have a controller on my truck.

Back