Help with 1999 Explorer, 2 Issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with 1999 Explorer, 2 Issues.

ArcKamikaze

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT V6 SOHC Explorer
Hi, apologize for the lengthy descriptions, but here's the situation.

Problem 1:
I believe something might be up with brake-shift interlock; I'm unable to shift from park (seems locked) unless I go through the whole "override" method, which involves me having to put the key in the ignition and turning it to the "On" position, then shift it into neutral and starting the vehicle from there, enabling me to freely shift smoothly. But once I shift it back into park I have to go through that whole process again in order for me to shift again from park. Checked fuses, swapped em with new ones, didn't fix it. Brake lights work/respond fine. Not entirely sure what else to check, nor how to go about fixing this issue. Also after this started happening, my cruise control stopped working as well.

Problem 2:
My turn signals have also stopped working a while ago, however the hazard lights still work. Not sure what's causing this or how to fix. Again swapped out fuses for new ones, got a new multifunction switch, and bulbs. Went and got the turn signal relay (EP-27), but cannot figure out how/where to get to the old one to swap em or if that'll fix it.

Specs of Explorer: 1999 XLT V6 SOHC 4x4

Hoping for a solution to these problems, any pictures or illustrations are also welcome and appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Edit: Managed to solve Problem 2, It was the faulty relay, swapped it with the new one (EP-27) and turn signals now work again.

problem #1: i'm not sure i'm understanding what you're saying. you need to start the engine (or at least turn the key to the ON position) then step on the brake pedal before you can shift out of park. it sounds like you're saying you're trying to shift out of park before turning the key ON or starting the engine.

problem #2: your flasher unit is on the lower dash frame under the driver's side plastic trim plate (4 screws along the bottom and 2 push-in clips at the top) and the metal plate found underneath it (4 bolts 8mm or 10mm). then you should see the flasher unit clipped to the edge of the lower dash frame. OE's are yellow I believe. I don't know if you can change it without taking the trim panel and plate off first.

Yea, it's kinda hard to explain, but have to go through this procedure in order for me to be able to shift from Park into drive, neutral, etc (while depressing the brakes). It seems as though the gear shift lever is locked in Park, until I do the below procedure. Not sure what's causing that, and apparently it is also connected to the Cruise Control, seeing as how that stopped working as well when this started happening.

I am able to freely shift smoothly once that methods done, until I set the explorer to park again, then I'd have to do all of that again.
IMG_1832.jpg

hum... well, your brake switch has several functions associated with it. I guess it's possible some parts of the switch (the brake lights) work and the brake interlock and cruise control interrupt do not (they might even be part of the same circuit). If you've checked your owner's manual, to make sure there's not a fuse or relay that could be involved, I guess the brake switch is a likely suspect. have you checked the plug connection to make sure it's clean and secure? (I hate buying an electrical part w/out knowing for sure that it's the problem, and some auto parts stores wont let you return electrical parts).

Back