• Register Today It's free!

Help with blend door

Seanmcg

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT V8
I just attempted to do the blend door repair in my '00 XLT. I reached inside and can feel the door but mine doesn't just swing open or closed. It feels like it's being forced in the closed position. Should I wedge it open if I only need AC? What did you guys use to keep that door open?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just pulled it open. Snapped something. Now I ductape it for whichever way that's needed. Holds up fine.

The only thing that locks the door in position is the actuator on top of the heater box, but if you're replacing the door, I assume the door was broken.

Why not fix it right so you can control the heat and air like intended? The door should fall out of the box once you've loosened up the support enough via cutting.

Hey produce man, are you sure you "pulled" the door open? I feel like mine is closed and I have to "push" it open (like I'm pushing it towards the passenger side of the dash)

And masospaghetti, I'm trying to do it the cheapest, quickest way. We're moving to Florida in a couple of months and I doubt I'll need heat very often down there.

When mine broke, I temporarily cut a small access hole in the heater box behind the glove box and attached a choke cable I had laying around to it. When it was attached to the face of the heater box, it allowed me to move the door from extreme heat to extreme ac when needed. wish i had a pic to better explain what i did. Again, this was temporary until i fixed the door the right way. Hope this helps

You obtain the right kit, use the right part out of the kit, the right method, and it's both easy & cheap. Spaghetti is right, just fix it, you will be proud & happy.

I'm honestly looking for the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way to get AC only. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to remove the dash or the heater core. Plus I only paid $1k for the truck and I don't want to pay a mechanic to do any extensive repairs.

Sorry, I only know how to do the repair. There is a sticky thread here somewhere five minute blend door quick fix. Find that it has all the info you need.

Back