Help with Carfax question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with Carfax question

billb1981

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Howdy all, was hoping someone might be able to help me out...First the story...

About a month and a half ago, the wife and I were going to a MLB game here in Kansas City....a gal rear ended my 2011 Limited. Not a terrible amount of damage, but enough to make me cringe, (I know how most of us are on the forums and protecting our vehicles!)

By the time we got to the stadium her insurance called and accepted full responsibility, so i was going to take it in Monday for estimates at Ford.

Come Monday morning...I went outside to find my Explorer gone from my driveway, pretty sure they came into our house and took the keys...great... So the long and short of it...they finally found it about a week later, with only a few minor scratches.

I have since had it all repaired, and the wife and I are wanting to look at a 12,13 or 14 just to kind of start over. I've got a pretty good trade in offer at a Ford dealership, but they don't seem to have the vehicle we are wanting (302A, bucket seats etc). They know the whole story, but I was curious the theft/accident would show up on carfax if I took it to another dealer. Is there anyone that has a carfax acct that would be willing to pull it for me?

Thanks for all the help,

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy all, was hoping someone might be able to help me out...First the story...

About a month and a half ago, the wife and I were going to a MLB game here in Kansas City....a gal rear ended my 2011 Limited. Not a terrible amount of damage, but enough to make me cringe, (I know how most of us are on the forums and protecting our vehicles!)

By the time we got to the stadium her insurance called and accepted full responsibility, so i was going to take it in Monday for estimates at Ford.

Come Monday morning...I went outside to find my Explorer gone from my driveway, pretty sure they came into our house and took the keys...great... So the long and short of it...they finally found it about a week later, with only a few minor scratches.

I have since had it all repaired, and the wife and I are wanting to look at a 12,13 or 14 just to kind of start over. I've got a pretty good trade in offer at a Ford dealership, but they don't seem to have the vehicle we are wanting (302A, bucket seats etc). They know the whole story, but I was curious the theft/accident would show up on carfax if I took it to another dealer. Is there anyone that has a carfax acct that would be willing to pull it for me?

Thanks for all the help,

Bill

Don't have an account. Generally takes several months for something that is reported to the police/insurance to show on a Carfax, so it may not be there yet. If not, your call on whether to tell whoever you sell it to. Buyer beware.

Just ask the dealer offering a trade about what will be on Carfax or if they will show you.
Or buy your own report using your VIN, cant be more than $15?

but I was curious the theft/accident would show up on carfax if I took it to another dealer.

Tread carefully. There are numerous states that require you to sign a damage disclosure (example is North Carolina below). Failure to disclose damage / theft recovery / flood can yield both a criminal and/or civil penalty. Whether or not it shows on Carfax is irrelevant.

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR181.pdf

Carfax can be a joke. I had a 2002 F-150 Lariat S/C, we were in a hit and run where the lady scratched our side mirror. We chased her down and involved highway patrol, our damage was minimal approximately $300. Well when we traded it in for a 2013 Ford F-150 that hit and run appeared on Carfax. I took the court paperwork, police report along with showing where the scratch on the drivers mirror. The GM of that dealer said "he would make it go away". Well I checked their site within a week and sure enough our truck was there with a clear Carfax. Before that experience I thought Carfax was factual and now my opinion has changed where I feel it can be tampered with.

My experience was a win/win for me- I wish the best for you.

Running CarFax reports for anyone other than yourself is illegal and is not allowed on this forum.

Peter
2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Forum moderator

Thanks for all the responses guys! And thanks Peter, I did not know that. You can take this down if you want, certainly not wanting to break any rules.

I also found it helpful to get the info from the other posters. As usual, thanks guys.

Take this for what it's worth...

I bought a used 2007 Honda in April of 2009 - clean carfax at the time.

Fast forward 4 years later. I went to go trade in when I bought my Explorer. To my surprise, a "reported stolen" showed up on the carfax in October 2008. This was NOT on there when I bought it. After some digging, and an inquiry to carfax I came to find out that that incident didn't land on the carfax report until some time in 2010. To boot, it was never reported "recovered" in their database. So, this blemish was going to cost me about 3k in trade in value. Luckily, we had it corrected and I was able to trade in without that hit.

Definitely opened my eyes to just how inacurate these Carfax reports can be.

Are you telling me someone from the insurance company "stole" your vehicle from your house? This is a crime.

Are you telling me someone from the insurance company "stole" your vehicle from your house? This is a crime.

Stranger things have happened. Police stole the car of a lawyer friend last year from his driveway with him present ordering him to hand over the keys and gave it to his locally politically connected wife he was divorcing. When he complained to the local commissioners, the police arrested him on a fabricated probable cause affidavit.

After a huge civil rights lawsuit settlement (plastered all over the local newspapers) where the police and the township just gave him a ton of money for false arrest, false imprisonment and the theft of his car, the ex-wife still has the car and the two cops still have their jobs.

Back