Help with gears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with gears

MudManNM

Reaction score
I think this is the right place but not sure so bear with me.

I want to put some 4:56 gears in my 91 Explorer EB. I am looking for some helpfull info on what to buy, how hard it's going to be to install, and places on the web that I can get the gears. Any help suggestions would be great. I have a 6.5 inch superlift, 2 inch body lift, and 36 inch tires, 4.0 V6 semi-stock moter. I looking for a little more beef to push it all. Any one have any other suggestions? I plan on dropping in a V8 351 from my Mustang next month to give it more power. How will this effect my gas mileage with the new gears? I know the motor is going to eat gas like it's going out of style but with the new gears will I need the motor? I need some help....I plan on dropping in the motor next month. Thanks!

------------------
Scott
91 EB

I run 4.56 gears with 33's and love them. For my size tire, it is actually deeper geared than the stock 3.73's were with the stock tires. However for you, it should be about right. If you want to swap in a 351, be my guest. However, be prepared to do alot of swearing and having your truck down for quite a while. The deck height on the 351 really causes problems. Much more so than on the 302's. Hell, 351's are a tight squeeze in the Mustang body, and those are designed for V8's. I have just done the normal bolt on mods for my 4.0, and am very happy with the power.

Back