Help with identifying parts on my 1995 transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with identifying parts on my 1995 transfer case

drdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT. Stock.
I’m having that flashing 4x4 issue. I had a rebuild on the transmission and case. The auto 4x4 on my Control Trac XLT will not engage on the fly. I have to stop while in drive or neutral or park for the light to come on it does click I posted about this the other day but to day I took a couple pictures. One is I think the speed sensor on tcase that is zip tied and the other may be a breather tube or vacuum ? It’s coming out of the anterior of the tcase about an inch then bends downward. Is it supposed to be attached to something else ?
I have an innova 3140 for OBD1 codes. I don’t have any other than DPFE related stuff. No ABS lights. No check engine light. thanks

52768F1D-8645-4358-88EC-D4713D79C50D.jpeg

368AAED4-F2F8-4223-8CE9-8D26293CEE0D.jpeg

The upper photo is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), lower photo as you said is the vent. One thing I would recommend is replacing that vent with a rubber hose a couple feet long with a vented end fitting on it, and route it up higher. I believe on my '97 it ends near the left upper control arm.
Now this is just speculation, but the cable ties on the VSS looks suspicious, like a bodge job of some sort. But maybe it's supposed to be that way.

Thank you !
I saw a video of a guy replacing his and he broke the retaining clips. That was his fix with the zip ties. I know the tube your talking about I have one up toward the front - little
White vent plug thingy ? I’ll go get one at the yard.

Back