Help with new tire installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with new tire installation

Ok so I just had 31x10.5x15 tires installed on my explorer tonight. Previously I had the stock size general all terrain tires. They always rode a little harsh but didn't vibrate. Now I had the Kumho AT KL78's installed and as soon as I got on the highway the truck vibrated ALOT to the point where my fiancee thought she was going to be sick. She thought it was because of the larger size, but I don't think it would be. I also noticed that the steering wheel was jerking in my hand a bit more than before. Is any of this normal with larger tires?

That is not normal at all. Take it back and have them re-check the balancing. Hopefully that fixes it.

yes check the balancing and also make sure the correct PSI is in each tire a low PSI can cause the shaking I ran into that problem. I have dunlop mud rovers same size as yours and they are a 50PSI tire. I was running 30psi and I ran into handling problems, severe shaking, and poor poor gas mileage. I put 40 in and it did the trick. still a small shake but not as bad.

x2 on the balancing,, or maybe whell not on right,,

Update:

Last night I took the truck to another shop to have them check the balance. They rebalanced the drivers front and passengers rear because they were off. The truck now rides 100% better. I lost the shimmy in the steering wheel and now I only get a slight vibration over about 75, which I would think is normal for larger tires on a worn out suspension. Im going to get a new shock ordered for the steering stabilizer I have and get that mounted up in the new couple months which should stop the bump steer I have.

Back