Help with rear shocks

EskimoEddie

Reaction score
City, State
SW Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer EX
Hello All!!

I'm planning on replacing my rear shock on my Ex, and hope that I will NOT have the same issue as I did when I replaced my fronts. I broke off the lower stud!! D'OH!!

NAPA came to the rescue with a replacement lower shock mount kit. Had to saws-all off the stud on the radius arm and drill out a 1/2" hole in the radius arm for the new lower mount.

But what a difference, I'm the 3rd (4th?) owner of my '94 Ex and the old shock were prob. original!! Now I don't go bouncing all over the highway when I hit expansion joints.

Has anyone else used the NAPA replacement lower mounts? Any issues I should be worried about, i.e. not strong enough, failures, etc? I don't go off road, just 'round town and little highway miles for me, I'm a home-body.

Anyone have any tips for replacing the rears? Thanks for any tips!!

-Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All!!

I'm planning on replacing my rear shock on my Ex, and hope that I will NOT have the same issue as I did when I replaced my fronts. I broke off the lower stud!! D'OH!!

NAPA came to the rescue with a replacement lower shock mount kit. Had to saws-all off the stud on the radius arm and drill out a 1/2" hole in the radius arm for the new lower mount.

But what a difference, I'm the 3rd (4th?) owner of my '94 Ex and the old shock were prob. original!! Now I don't go bouncing all over the highway when I hit expansion joints.

Has anyone else used the NAPA replacement lower mounts? Any issues I should be worried about, i.e. not strong enough, failures, etc? I don't go off road, just 'round town and little highway miles for me, I'm a home-body.

Anyone have any tips for replacing the rears? Thanks for any tips!!

-Greg

This may help you a little bit.

http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/shocks.html

I couldn't find any how to's on this subject.

I broke one off my passenger side, I just used a torch and a grade 8 bolt with a washer and nut. Then for good measure I welded it back on. No problems yet, No cracks in the weld.

My shocks need replaced also. Interesting tidbit. When I was pulling my seats to replace my vacuum modulator from the inside. I found a sales ticket under the center console from auto zone. Showed four shocks purchased in 1997. Mine have been replaced... a long time ago, It's past time to change them again.

Do you prefer a certain brand of shocks?

I'm thinking of getting monroe shocks for now because I plan on lifting my explorer some time next year and I think it would be a waste to get high end shocks just to replace them with lift shocks within a years time.

I shouldn't have said anything about welding that bolt on. I checked it today and I somehow managed to break it clean off again. So until tomorrow my lower passenger side shock will be sliding around every time I hit a bump :(

I shouldn't have said anything about welding that bolt on. I checked it today and I somehow managed to break it clean off again. So until tomorrow my lower passenger side shock will be sliding around every time I hit a bump :(

This is one of those strange times when "better" things are actually worse. A grade 8 bolt has a higher tensile strength which offers a higher clamping force; but they are also more brittle, offering much less strength in shear (such as when you're using it for a stud). Grade 5 is a better choice for this, and make sure you use a bolt that is not threaded in the area that will support the shock. The threads will just act as stress risers.

Cheers!

John

how long should the bolts be?

Back