• Register Today It's free!

Help with stereo harness install

Calzican

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLS
I'm trying to install an aftermarket stereo in a 1997 Explorer XLS 4dr. I went to Wal-Mart and got the Scosche model#FD021 harness which says it fits 91-97 Explorers. I get it home and the plugs look nothing like what was plugged in the factory stereo. Is there a certain type harness for certain models? Also one of the plugs has a single gray/black wire going to it...What is that for? Thanks for any help or info..I thought this may have been a 30 minute job geeeezzzz..

This is the factory stereo
tn.jpg

These are the plugs coming out of the factory stereo
tk.jpg

This is the Scosche harness FD021
lglg.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure you have a 1997? I'm not being a smart ass. 1999 was the first year for the XLS. This would explain the problem.

trust me this is only the start of your headaches.

I gave up on installing my clarion unit because I couldnt get the speaker outputs to work. I have a simpler setup though, just the basic 96 premium setup with 6 disk changer and rear seat controls

Your photo's are rather blurry. It looks as though you have T-100 plugs which are used on the 1999 to 2001 systems. See the link below:
http://oem-auto-accessory.com/photo_page.html

This should be the correct harness:
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1771-Harness-Lincoln-1998-Up/dp/B0002BEWZQ/ref=pd_cp_e_1

The gray/black wire is the vehicle speed sensor or VSS and is not used on most aftermarket installs.

Thanks everyone..you are right thats it. I took the other harness back and found this one. I understood the harness I had fits a 80?-97 with I guess an am/fm radio. The link you posted fits a 91-97 with the cd/cassette stereo.:thumbsup:

For sure though- check the year on your truck. There was no XLS in '97. That could create all sorts of problems for you moving forward trying to get other things fixed too.

Is your license plate mounted to the rear bumper, or on the center of the rear liftgate?

Back