• Register Today It's free!

Help with the horn on 17 piu

16vcabman

Reaction score
City, State
Ortonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU
I believe horn wire cut for siren. Can anyone tell me where they they cut the wire?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe horn wire cut for siren. Can anyone tell me where they they cut the wire?
it would vary vehicle to vehicle i imagine with th eupfitter. find the horn wire and trace it

This was probably done to allow Manual / Intersection siren functions, where pressing the horn button either works the manual wail or toggles the 5 seconds of a different sound.

This is usually done by cutting the horn wire under the dash, between the sterring column and firewall, running that line to the siren / control head, with another line from the head to the wire that makes the horn work during normal driving. Older cars used a horn relay, dunno what the PIU has.

Below the steering wheel knee panel you will find a wire they spliced into ,its voilet and green . just butt conector it back together

Below the steering wheel knee panel you will find a wire they spliced into ,its voilet and green . just butt conector it back together
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

My mechanic did not want to tinker with it so I got on my back and dropped the knee panel to find purple and green wires cut and wrapped with tape, completing the circuit fixed it.

Yeah, I found the wires were cut and attached to other wires running to the console. I just cut those and spliced the wires back together. This is documented in the assemblers manual for the outfitters that make cop cars on Ford's website.

How to you drop the knee panel?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I've never checked that panel but Ford does like using clips to hold things together. Are any fasteners visible?

Peter

As said above....a couple bolts at the bottom. Clips hold the rest. Pull straight away from the dash...NOT down...

How to you drop the knee panel?
with metric sockets while laying on your back under the steering column with good lighting look for screws and remove them and remember where they came from. start low around the pedals and remove plastic then a metal guard then work up to the steering column that will separate in half leaving the top part in place. that metal has sharp edges

Mine was solid green, but this is correct. Thank you

Back