Help with Voltage regulator

ddrag

Reaction score
City, State
Champaign, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac 4wd
Hi all,

I have noticed my battery voltage dropping slowly this week and today the battery was dead. This is a 5 year old battery and I figured it was time to replace it. I took the truck in today and had a load test done and the battery, alternator, and starter all tested good. The voltage regulator, however, failed the test. I bought the replacement part but it won't be in until Tuesday. I got the truck home and removed the battery to give it a charge so I can get to work in the morning. The truck sat for about an hour before I removed the battery and when I got it out it was boiling hot. I cannot imagine why this would be if the alternator was not even getting the proper voltage to the battery. If it was overcharging, that would explain the heat. I really need this vehicle the next few days and was wondering if it is safe to drive with a bad regulator like this or if anyone has an explanation for the temp issue. Also, if any of you are familiar with this style alternator, is there anything I should know about replacing the regulator before I rip it out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this problem on my 6.4 power stroke. It ended up boiling and ruining the batteries. I had the problem for a while and after a couple days of getting jumped finally had everything replaced. You can drive it like that but know that you will need a jump to leave anywhere and will need to replace the battery in addition to the other components.

For my F350 it was 2 new batteries and a high amp alternator - not cheap if not for my warranty...

Meant to follow up on this long ago but could not remember my log in password for the longest time. First off make sure you check your alternator part number when ordering the voltage regulator. Autozone only had one replacement regulator and it was not the one for my alternator. They did not carry the correct one and neither did O'reilly or Advance. I found the correct part on rock auto. I also took out the battery as it was red hot after charging it. Even though it tested OK at autozone one of the cells was fried and I am glad I did not put it back in. Took out the alternator and replaced the regulator. Very simple fix. I cleaned up the alternator and put it back in, got a new battery and everything worked great. Now about 5 months later no further issues with this.

Glad the problems solved!

Thanks for the info people........I'm a new member and this is my second post/reply. My battery light started going on and off when giving it some gas. Went to O'Reilly's immediately where they tested it - showing a good battery and alternator but "voltage regulator failed". Just like ddrag, auto parts store had the wrong one, Using the part number off the bad regulator, found one online and now waiting for it in the mail. Just like ddrag, hope it is a simple fix.

Back