• Register Today It's free!

help!!!!!!!!!!

davidhicks16

Reaction score
City, State
oreana il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I have my 94 ripped apart right now to change the front axle joints, and the spindle is fused to the knuckle. How do i fix this problem???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slide Hammer and Spindle Socket
Like a Lisle 22200
http://www.costplustools.com/LISLE-22200-4-WD-SPINDLE-PULLER_p_4725.html

It screws on the end of the Slide Hammer

That is Exactly the way to go.. trying to tap the spindle with a rubber mallet never worked for me..

Easy easy easy... I've been there several times... The big problem is that the spindle lip sits inside the steering knuckle and time and rust will really keep it fused together. You need to use a slide hammer puller (free autozone rental)... Put the large spindle nut back on the spindle and lock the jaws of the puller on the nut... A few pulls later the spindle is out and you'll have a smile on your face. :) The 1st time I removed the spindle I pried it off
Spindle Removal 1
Spindle Removal 2

TIP: Get some antiseize and coat the spindle lip and mountin surfaces to help make the next removal even easier.

18205Removed_Spindle.jpg

No luck at all and my abs sensor is toast.

I used a combination of screwdrivers and chisels to get mine free. I think I had to use chisels to make a place to bite with the screwdrivers and just slowly work around it prying it off. I probably used some small pry bars too.

I also put the big spindle nut back on and hit it with a hammer to help wiggle it out. The combination of it all got them off. Just be careful when whacking it with a hammer to not hit the spindle itself, only the nut. Even then be careful not to mess up the threads to break the nut or something.

I went to autozone and rented the slide hammer and attachment that threads on the spindle 3 hard pulls and it came apart.

I went to autozone and rented the slide hammer and attachment that threads on the spindle 3 hard pulls and it came apart.

I bet you're glad you went the slide hammer route ;)

It's the Right tool for the job.

You could have spent an hour or better Mangling your Spindle, Knuckle or ABS sensor.. oh yeah, you did that. LOL
File or Sand the inner diameter of the Knuckle and also clean the Spindle. Put Grease or Never Seze on those surfaces and it will be super easy to remove next time.

Back