rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
Well I got one coat of Herculiner on my rocker panels, front and rear bumpers this weekend. I have to say this is some good tough stuff! So far I like it better then anything else I have seen out there. Its got a nice and rough texture to it and it goes on really really well. Next weekend I will put a second coat of it on to thicken it up some. Anybody who wants to have a cheaper way to cover their rocker panels up to prevent rusting and damage from trail abuse this is the product to use. It covers well and it looks good. The only thing that I have noticed as a drawback so far is it makes the inside of the truck a tad stinky for a while. I applied it to the step part of the door frame which causes this I think. But it will keep that area from being so dang slick when steping in and out of the truck from now on. Anyways I just figured I would pass along that this stuff is pretty dang good.

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport Modified

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just dont make the mistake of putting "one coat too many" as someone did on this board... :)

nick

Originally posted by JGSTEWART8
how much does it cost about ... to herculine, or spray on rhino line your rocker panels

$100 for the Herculiner kit at your local Pep Boys. Just be careful, we don't need any more Herculiner accidents! LOL.

Hey Ryan -

By chance did you throw any of the Herculiner on your fender flares?

If not, do you think the texture of the stuff will adhere to the plastic?

My Bushwhackers are getting a little beat up, and I was considering using Herculiner to spuce 'em up.

Whaddya think??

Paul

Paul, I think that would be a great idea. I went ahead and did my grillguard and taillight guards after my infamous rocker panel Herculiner job and it looks really tough. I would think that you would need to sand the flares to make sure it sticks though.

Where are you stationed now? Didn't you get transferred from Fort Leavenworth? Are we going to see you again in Moab next year?

[Edited by GJarrett on 12-09-2000 at 04:29 PM]

Paul I would say go for it. This stuff sticks to damn near anything. I would probably rough them up a tad first. As you can all see its been since May that I did this and its still holding up well minus the areas I did not prep well on. Which should be expeceted. I have not had a chance to run a nice large rock across them yet though. Still waiting to do that. :D

Gerald -

Yep, Terri and I are now living in Fayetteville, N.C., and I am stationed at nearby Fort Bragg.

Don't think Moab is in our furture plans - won't get leave/vacation until late June...would love to get back there though.

Ryan -

I figured I'd sand the flares a bit before applying the Herculiner - - had a feeling the stuff would stick pretty well.

Feel free to rock test it - - I just have a preference to remain rash free...

Paul

Brian1 said:
$100 for the Herculiner kit at your local Pep Boys. Just be careful, we don't need any more Herculiner accidents! LOL.

i have heard there is a $30 can of herculiner available. is this true? and if so, how much surface area would this can cover? thanks, todd.

Wow, talk about a dead thread. Over 4 years old! Anyway, you can buy a small can Herculiner from CarQuest, etc. for about $35.00.

any idea if this is enough to cover the rockers for both sides?

Yup, it is.

GJarrett said:
Paul, I think that would be a great idea. I went ahead and did my grillguard and taillight guards after my infamous rocker panel Herculiner job and it looks really tough.

That was a while ago. How has it held up on the grillguard?

last time I saw his truck it was still there. Looked like it was holding up fine. He should have put some on his skid plates and cross member.

And hey.. at least toddious searched this instead of starting a new thread!

I got my gallon kit of Herc for $40 at Northern Tool. They have it on sale every so often.

Jason, how much would the gallon of Herc be able to cover? I'd like to put some on my sliders, rockers(maybe), and then my bumpers when they are made. Would I need to buy two or would that cover it all?

that should be plenty to cover that. still getting the sliders done Tues?

Cool, do you have Herc on your sliders?
Yep, I'm still getting them done Tuesday! :bounce: Also, I'm getting a $ quote for sliders for my friend's Wrangler. He wants Mike to make some for him, after I told him how cheap mine would be :thumbsup:

LOL, talk about an OLD OLD OLD Thread! I have since started to remove all the herculiner as I don't like the way it looks, feels, or all the rust coming through it. :)

I just wasn't to happy with it, even after putting on 4-6 coats.

Back