Here is a video of my A/C Compressor - is something not right? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here is a video of my A/C Compressor - is something not right?

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Hello,

I just installed my new compressor after flushing the entire A/C system, replacing the condenser, accumulator and orifice tube. Had the system evac'd and charged.

I notice immediately that the new A/C compressor is very noisy, and you can hear it over the 5.0 exhaust when the clutch on it starts/stops. I've uploaded a video, is there something not right here?

It seems to be blowing pretty cold air so far though, and the accumulator is dripping with condensation and is cold, so the freon seems to be circulating, atleast for now.

Here is the video, let me know (also notice the low pressure side gauge):

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool man, Im probably just paranoid. I've been through the ringer with this A/C system in the last few weeks, I wish I wasn't so stubborn or I would have just left it alone and gone without A/C altogether, but I had to fix it lol

Seems like it's short cycling, the compressor is cutting on and off more than normal, which could lead to a burned out compressor clutch. Also was oil added when the unit was recharged? As for the noise, some do, some don't. :)

According to my shop manual, the compressor will cycle more often in cooler ambient temps.

sounds normal to me.

Back