hey did some stuff to my truck, and now its idling rough | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hey did some stuff to my truck, and now its idling rough

4.0Rerolpxe

Reaction score
City, State
Starkville, Ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited 4x4
i cleaned my maf sensor, cleaned my IAC, and ran seafoam through my vacuum line, then a few days later i pulled my plugs to see if they needed changing, and they do, but now instead of idling at about 800 rpms, its idling at 1000, and it is kind of rough

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you change the plugs?

not yet, i'm getting that done monday, i hate that last plug on the passengers side

rough

Sounds like a vacuum leak/false air to me.

Are you sure the vacuum line you pulled for the sea foam didn't split on reinstall, and that it's seated properly? Any other lines you might've bumped? Did the intake hose get secured properly at MAF and intake? Just some thoughts.

just did my plugs, going through the tire well for the one on the passenger side went pretty easy

pretty sure that my vacuum lines are alright, i put the seafoam in through my cruise control vacuum line. so i really didnt touch other lines. i just dont feel like dealing with those spark plugs right now, ive been sick as a dog for the past week. so once i get home from class im done. but could it be something from my idle air control? when i took it off it had black soot all in it, and i got all of that out. when it is idling it idles at 1000, and every few seconds it bounces up to 1200. if that helps any

Definitely clean out the IAC with carb cleaner or similar. But the problem is most likely the plugs. After seafoam the plugs usually get fouled up...

already cleaned IAC.

then a few days later i pulled my plugs to see if they needed changing, and they do,

whenever you're up for it thats the next step...

What'd you use to clean the IAC? It's pretty hard to get that thing clean without prying off the endcap to get all the gunk out of that end..and sometimes cleaning it with spray cleaner just gunks it up worse than it was before and gives it a high idle.

Did you disconnect the battery while doing the work, then reconnect it after, start it and let it idle for 5 min then take it for a spin? Otherwise it takes awhile for the ECU to reprogram itself.

i used electric componet cleaner. i didnt let it idle for 5 mins, i just reconnected the battery and went for a drive.

i didnt pry off the end cap because it felt like it was gonna break. so i quit.

Back