• Register Today It's free!

Hey. Did you know??

tabezic

Reaction score
City, State
Shelby twp. Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mountaineer v8
When your cruzin in 5th gear (od). And you tap the break while your other foot is on the gas. The truck will downshift into 4th gear. I didn't know it does that. Is it some type of towing feature or a glitch in the computer/trans??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well after you get into 5th gear the torque converter locks up and your rpms will drop another 300-600. Are you sure your not just unlocking the torque converter? It will lock up "engage" at a steady speed and any brakimg or increase in speed disengages it. I could be totally off on my information so please correct me if I am, I'd really like to be schooled on how torque/stall converters work

It unlocks the TC when you hit the brakes.

I :dunno: why, I just know it does.

It unlocks the TC when you hit the brakes.

I :dunno: why, I just know it does.

I read a bunch of articles on torque converters, but eventually gave up. Either theyre some form of space age technology or they're easy to understand and I'm just an idoit....lol

Transmissions are still chinese to me! I learned that fact about the TC back when I had my 92.

I put in LED bulbs for the taillights, but no load equalizers, and noticed my RPMS at 45MPH were staying around 2000, rather than dropping to the usual 1400 or so. Then I learned about LEDs and the fact that they use a fraction of the power, so the computer thought the brakes were on, in turn not causing the TC to lock.

When I figured out how to do it. I tried repeating it and you can actually feel the trams shift down into 4th. I know exactly what your saying about the TC locking up at. But this is different.

When I say tap the breaks. I mean barely touching them.

I know, you barely touch the brake pedal and it turns on the brake lights.

Back