Hey I am new...2wd or 4x4 Explorer? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey I am new...2wd or 4x4 Explorer?

hah this thread makes me feel even worse about getting a 2wd lol. although i really wish i had gotten 4wd, and im even looking for the parts for a conversion, i still can do mild stuff in mine, with stock suspension and tires. since it rained for the first time in about 100 years today, i went through about 3 inches of mud, but i didnt fishtail or anything. i had to spin the tires a little to get going from start, but i didnt need a tow. and in the next few weeks im going to pismo to see how far i can get into the dunes before i get stuck..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remember though, when you're on the street and you need to move fast for some reason, 2WD may just save your life. :D Seriously though, there is a reason not every vehicle is 4WD. If it's so great, why is it not standard always? It's because 4WD breaks more often than 2WD, and when it does, it's expensive to fix. 4X4 is great, but just remember that repairs will be expensive, and a PITA to do if you do it yourself. The Transfer case also will require maintenance. 2WD ain't got no TC :D

Two reasons why they make 2wd's.. For soccer moms and low riders.

There are a few benifits from 2wd and that is less weight, sits lower to the ground and cheaper.. But stay on the road, or close to it..

There are many valid reasons for owning a 2WD SUV. Someone said, get a minivan if you want a 2WD SUV. Well, here in the US one of our luxeries is freedom of choice. I have yet to see any minivan that looks as good as most SUV's. My Wife will be due for a repalcement vehicle this summer and with mine pushing 100K, I want to get her something that we can still pull our tent trailer with. She was leaning towards a minivan. I had a '92, '94 & '97 Caravan and a '95 Astro. She likes the car like ride. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one that has a tow rating higher than 3500 lbs. That would put us right at the limits with our loaded trailer so I've convinced her to get another SUV. That will help prolong mine a little longer. Whatever we decide it will be 4x4 since when it is paid off, my Explorer will be over 200K. I can't see it lasting much longer than that so I will likely take over whatever she ends up getting. I will always have at least one 4x4 in the garage since I enjoy getting off the road where most people don't venture. The only problem is that she has her heart set on a Chevy Trailblazer.

Originally posted by Robert
There are many valid reasons for owning a 2WD SUV. Someone said, get a minivan if you want a 2WD SUV. Well, here in the US one of our luxeries is freedom of choice. I have yet to see any minivan that looks as good as most SUV's. My Wife will be due for a repalcement vehicle this summer and with mine pushing 100K, I want to get her something that we can still pull our tent trailer with. She was leaning towards a minivan. I had a '92, '94 & '97 Caravan and a '95 Astro. She likes the car like ride. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one that has a tow rating higher than 3500 lbs. That would put us right at the limits with our loaded trailer so I've convinced her to get another SUV. That will help prolong mine a little longer. Whatever we decide it will be 4x4 since when it is paid off, my Explorer will be over 200K. I can't see it lasting much longer than that so I will likely take over whatever she ends up getting. I will always have at least one 4x4 in the garage since I enjoy getting off the road where most people don't venture. The only problem is that she has her heart set on a Chevy Trailblazer.
Don't let her get a Trailblazer. GM has a lot of quality control problems to address on the new inline-6 engine in there. There have been engine fires and other problems with them. Get a new V-8 X with AWD :)

Originally posted by Oknut
Two reasons why they make 2wd's.. For soccer moms and low riders.

There are a few benifits from 2wd and that is less weight, sits lower to the ground and cheaper.. But stay on the road, or close to it..

I am partial to a 4 wheeler, but don't forget about Alec's sport, that's a 2 wheeler that will hold it's own and then some.

People need to quit bashing 2x4. there's nothing wrong with 2wd if that's all you need. No one needs to be bashed or called a "wuse" cause they have a 2wd. If I didn't live in the snow I'd want a 2wd. 4X4's require a lot more maintence and repair. If you don't go off road or live in a climate where you need it, it's only going to cost money and waste gas.

Your right, it's all in what people need, want and enjoy driving. I'm not trying to bash on anyone.

I'm from the pacific northwest:
and to tell you the truth, it's getting harder and harder to find places to 4x in the area where I live. They have closed down the major mountain where all the trails and mud holes are and if they catch you in a mud hole they will fine you $3500. They say the silt is running into the streams and killing salmon and other fish. But now the problem is people are going all over trying to find different places, it's actually making it worse.

Since we are all trying to 4x on other hills and mountains, they are giving us ticteks for 4xing on logging roads. Last weekend they gave 14 poeple tickets.

Get whatever is the best fit for you, don't listen to me.

Take care and have fun car shopping and all the best for the next year.

Back