HHeellpp!!!Wifes 99 exp won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HHeellpp!!!Wifes 99 exp won't start

PuppDogg_20

Reaction score
City, State
Arkadelphia, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Wife just called from work. Says 4.0 SOHC won't start. First few times it would start for a few seconds then quit. Last try it turned over but would not crank and she also noticed some smoke coming through the vents while cranking. Now it won't even turn over. Had to catch ride home with brother. I going by her job tomorrow to take a look. Any suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sure it was smoke coming through a vent? lots of reasons could cuase a no start... hows her battery?

sounds like a weak battery maby how long did she crank the thing for she may have burned up the starter

She says electronics seemed fine nothing dimmed or looked wrong pwr windows, locks , radio , etc. all worked.

She only turned the key over long enough for it to start, then it would stall after a few seconds.

did you get it fixed may be teh crankshaft position sensor

If it does indeed crank and the battery is fine, I'd next suspect the fuel system. When you turn the key to on (before you crank) listen to see if you hear the fuel pump pressurize the system.

If it's not the pump or pump relay, could be the fuel filter.

Could also be a sensor as was suggested.

Let us know exactly what the truck does. Crank and sputter? Crank and not fire? Can it be jumped?

i just thought about it if it fired it probrally isn't the sensor i am with the fuel pump also now same thing happned with our volvo a while back

Back