Hi to all your Explorers, No change of gear, Help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi to all your Explorers, No change of gear, Help!!!

BLUESBIRD12

Reaction score
City, State
Spain, Málaga
Year, Model & Trim Level
XL ´99
Hi to everyone, new on the block and very amazed with so many threads and responses, sure be able to read for some time.
Just going to work I found myself on the motorway, cruising happilly, as always, when I noticed that I lost gear, I had to make 3000 then 4000 revs to make a 100kms, then less and less, I made it to the carpark driving 30kms :thumbdwn: with high revs. I notice that there is a yellow light on the dashboard right below blinking, any suggestions before I call the breakdown services.:roll:
Thanx in advance!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, thanx for the reply, yes it is the OD light blinking...after I parked it for an hour or two I could put the car in gear ( no normal function, but not idle) for about 200 meters , then it went back into idle, I mean even accelarating hard the car doesn´t move. I have noticed a ratling noice coming from under the car and when I checked the liquid it smelled a bit burned. Since then I have towed it to the ford dealer, a Mechanic said imediatly,¨it must be the automatic gearbox, better and cheaper a new one instead of us reparing, price , 2000,-€-2700$, this broke my spirit, lol<----now!!!
I left the car and said I think about it, Tomorrow is another day. thanx again for the reply.:roll:

Have them read the codes and then post the codes here before you allow them to work on it. That's an expensive assumption without code checking or trouble shooting.

Thanx again, I´m going tomorrow to tell them to get me the codes and do some further investigations, I also thought it to be a very rapid conclusion, even if he´s right or has the experience, Tomorrow the quest for the codes start, I´ll keep you informed!!!!! Wonder how much they charge to get the codes out...:salute:

well the ford dealer ship it costs 80 but thats american money.....

;) I´ll tell you tomorrow the current rate in Euros, lol!!!!
Thanx!!!!!

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm going to move this to the Transmission forums for more visibility for your problem.

Good luck!!!

Thanx, Positif vibes, Very interesting thread, really great to own one of them, as I´m in a kind of a hurry I´ve visited Ford today and the receptionist with a bright smile asked me if I wanted to change the transmision, after I told them that I first would like to get an analysis and the codes he rushed of into another room and came back with the mechanic. I told the mechanic that I thought that his verdict yesterday was rather swift ( 1 minute looking at the car ) to have me change the transmission, he replied that they didnt run test as this was at more cost of the client as it seemed clear that it was the transmission. The Analysis should take 2 to 3 hours, at 35 Euros + 16%VAT so we know the score, I´ll post the codes as soon as I have them.

2 to 3 hrs???? Should take like 10-20 mins but lets us know what the say. Glacier is the guru on trannys, hopefully he will chime in when you get the codes.

Still waiting since yesterday morning for a call that finally they have any codes, tomorrow give them a ring, I have a feeling they are a bit anoyed, in the best case, just plain busy...we see...

Finally,El codigo da Vinci

Hi everyone,

These are the codes Ford could come up with:

P0734-PCM
P0733-PCM
PO741-PCM

Few codes to my opinion, but then, I have no clue!!!
Hopefully they can tell u something guys.
The estimate for a refabric with recycling this one, workhours, V.A.T. comes to 2244,-Euros ----> 3044,-$:shoot:

Thanx a lot!!!!

By the way...

Hi

By the way, to get the codes came to 40,-€---> 54$

P0734-PCM Improper ratio for 4th Gear
P0733-PCM Improper ratio for 3rd gear
PO741-PCM TCC System Improper Mechanical Performance

What does all that mean? I'd say probably needs a rebuild. Anyone
else have another opinion?

Sorry.

One week later!!!

The latest news fromy explorer blues, Ford could not find a automatic gear box, I should wait untill they found one, luckily I have found a garage which only deals in automatic trannies!!!!!They picked up the car with the the towing truck, so much for the staring eyes from the Ford mechanics!!! I feel like I scored a goal, lets see the end result though!!!! I´´ll keep u informed!!:salute: 2007 most impressive screensavers

myscreensavers.info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5 WEEKS later

Finally I have picked up the car...The gear box has been rebuilt, how many pieces or which one I don´t know!
Price V.A.T. incl. 2320€ - 3,117 USD
Hopefully this box sees through the end of the lifespan of the car.
Any suggestions on how to look after the box, oil check etc...
Thanx a lot !!!

Back