• Register Today It's free!

HID Upgrade in Canada

Motoarzan

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 2014
I'm about to purchase a HID upgrade kit from coolbulbs (model G1K-9005) for my Explorer Sport being delivered in about 3 wks. Heard others got this one and it's good.

In Canada we all have daytime running lights. for HID models (the Limited) the DRL's are tied to the amber marker lights...non-HID models (Sport, XLT ect..) are tied directly to the headlights (at a reduced power I believe).

Does anyone know if there will be a problem upgrading to HID's for Canadian models with DRL... and any work-arounds. The only thing I'm aware of is that sure, the HID's will be on all the time and bulb longevity will be reduced.

I heard something though about the lights going on (full power) or off (reduced power) based on a light sensor or a shutter???

Can anyone who knows the details on this subject enlighten me before I buy HID kit. In other words if I buy this kit, install it...will everything be just fine!
Any Canadian upgrade to HID's care to give some feedback?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about to purchase a HID upgrade kit from coolbulbs (model G1K-9006) for my Explorer Sport being delivered in about 3 wks. Heard others got this one and it's good.

In Canada we all have daytime running lights. for HID models (the Limited) the DRL's are tied to the amber marker lights...non-HID models (Sport, XLT ect..) are tied directly to the headlights (at a reduced power I believe).

Does anyone know if there will be a problem upgrading to HID's for Canadian models with DRL... and any work-arounds. The only thing I'm aware of is that sure, the HID's will be on all the time and bulb longevity will be reduced.

I heard something though about the lights going on (full power) or off (reduced power) based on a light sensor or a shutter???

Can anyone who knows the details on this subject enlighten me before I buy HID kit. In other words if I buy this kit, install it...will everything be just fine!
Any Canadian upgrade to HID's care to give some feedback?
Thanks

I have a 2014 sport, and live in canada. So what you have to do is get into the lighting program and change the DRLs to the turn signal lights. Once you do that then you can install the hids with out issues. DO NOT just install the hids with out changing the program you will creat issues with the hids trust me.

In in Waterdown, Ontario. What part of Ontario are you in?

People on here will tell you either it can't be done or its illegal just ignore them, it took me under 1 hour for the hole install. I have 6000k 35watt hids from coolbulbs. They are amazing!

I have a 2014 sport, and live in canada. So what you have to do is get into the lighting program and change the DRLs to the turn signal lights. Once you do that then you can install the hids with out issues. DO NOT just install the hids with out changing the program you will creat issues with the hids trust me.

In in Waterdown, Ontario. What part of Ontario are you in?

People on here will tell you either it can't be done or its illegal just ignore them, it took me under 1 hour for the hole install. I have 6000k 35watt hids from coolbulbs. They are amazing!

Thanks for the response. I remember seeing a thread on this that you can program the DRL to another light...and as you say can't be done/illegal/no one will take the liability doing it ect...
However; I thought it was the marker lights, not the turn signal lights (Is that referring to the same thing?) If it is turn signal then I assume you would have no turn signal indication anymore only solid on lights all the time?

I'm in Cambridge, only 1/2hr away. Can you recommend someone that reprogrammed yours? PM me?

I was also considering those new full LED headlight bulbs. But not certain the technology is quite there yet. I might try these in my Wife's 05 Honda Pilot.
http://www.vleds.com/bulb/9000-series/9006-hb4/white-led/cxa-led-headlights.html

Thanks for your help.

Hi guys, I am in Toronto and will be picking up my Sport on Wednesday....have either of you had the dealer move the DRLs to the Parking lights?

They told me that it will cause a issue for a control box and to wait for Ford to come out with a OEM HID kit instead.

The service manager even said that they already have this in the US.

I have already looked and did not find anything. I think he was lying.

Have you had any issues with the HID kits?

I am looking at the TRS kit.

After some delays I finally got my Sport 1 week ago. I'm Installing my Coolbulbs HID kit this weekend. Installing an HID with the DRL's tied to the headlights will cause problems and reduce the longevity.
My dealer switched the DRL's from the headlights to be on the side marker lights before I even picked it up new.
It's a 5min job by connecting the PC to the vehicle. No problems so far. They operate just fine!

I researched the crap out of the forums and Coolbulbs gets a great review with no customer complaints, no flicker at start up or misfire at startup requiring a time delay relay, that's why I chose them. I've also noticed cools bulbs now has LED fog light kits as well which I may purchase soon.

These are the basic steps but I'm sure the technician will know the details within each step. Print this off and give it to your dealer!

1. Hookup laptop for BCM options
2. Verify VIN
3. Exterior Lighting
4. Daytime Running Lights
5. Ok to bypass warning about unauthorized changes
6. Option Daytime Running Lights - choose to enable
7. Option Daytime Running Lights - None/Parking Lamps(HID)/Headlamps(Halogen) - choose Parking Lamps

I really can't see any harm being caused by switching the DRL over to the parking lights. That's how the Limited versions with HID operate and it does appear to be an "option" within the setup menu so it's not like you are cutting and moving wires. That'll be the route I go on my Sport when it arrives, going to meantion it to my dealer before I pick it up and see if they can do it right off the bat.

The dealers are a hit and miss. Mine had absolutely no problem doing it but I've heard others being refuse or brushing the customer off. Because, it's a grey area messing with the DRL's which is "law" in Canada, and modifying something that was required to meet certain standards and approvals coming from the factory.

However; because the DRL's are already on the marker lights on the Limited which comes HID from the factory (Canadian Models) The option is there and can be done.

Be nice about it and I'm sure they will make the switch. Request it "before" you even pick up the vehicle.

If they refuse then play hard-ball and tell them you will instead purchase the vehicle from another dealer who will do this for you. Make it a condition of sale!

Back