Hella 500ff and 700ff HID upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hella 500ff and 700ff HID upgrade

...This is being done out here on most all of the off road race trucks who are running the 500ff and the 700ff Hella's...(FF = Free Form design)..

...These are the latest gen Hella's with a better light design...They come stock with H3 12v/55 watt bulbs, wiring, switch,stone shields and are pretty bright on their own for $69 at Kragen and Walmart for the 500ff and about $72-$78 for the 700ff...Some have found the 500ff's for $30-$36 online..;)

.. Here is a link to info on these lights...
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hel...ts/Performance_Lighting/Model500/Model500.jsp

Disclaimer: This is something I wanted to do...Do so on your own at your own risk...Check with your local jurisdiction before adding offroad lights

..This works for both the 500ff and the 700ff models

...This is one of those mods that I had the reviews and info to the upgrade before I even tried the basic stock light out...Don't worry though, I always keep my old/new parts just in case I don't like these lights really bright and clear...:D

cruiserconnection204310.jpg

...Most of the guys upgrade to the 35 watt HID's and are totally happy with them...Those that upgrade to the 55 watt HID's are also really happy with them but my concern was the bulb length and the heat especially since these are Aluminum vapor-coated housings with glass lenses...

...Of the ones I've seen in use, they do get hot but the owners have had no problems or complaints...I will be putting these thru a test coming up in March on a two week desert expedition...:biggthump

Basic wiring and light install info can be found in this thread..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203037

Parts:

1 set of 500ff ($69)
1 relay (see basic wiring and light thread above) ($5)
1 pair of 6k HID bulbs (For clean natural light-no color- comes with kit)
1 set of DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast (35W or 55W) ($35 @)

...This is where I got the HID kit from as they are local to me but are one of the best online companies around...Just tell them what you are doing and they will hook you up with the right parts for your project...:hammer:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/

...Whats included from DDM tuning's kit..
hidddm.jpg

...The whole process of this upgrade in a nutshell..

1) Remove the glass lens and pull the bulbs and wires out of the Hella's..

2) You will need a drill to open up the existing wiring hole to accept the new HID harness...Be sure it is small enough to hold the rubber grommet (that comes on the harness) in place to keep water out..

3) Install the bulbs and re install the lens...

...Some pics of what you are working with...

This pic shows the location and the drilled out hole minus the rubber grommet that comes with the harness..
hella_hid_001.jpg

..The ballast...
hella_hid_002.jpg

The ballast info from what I used...
hella_hid_003.jpg

..The harness connections...
hella_hid_004.jpg

...All boxed back up and waiting for install...
Ranger_edge_007.jpg

...The old/new bulbs I pulled out and how I keep them..
hella_hid_005.jpg

...Have fun and be safe...Always use a relay...:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I LOVED the HID's in mine. I put 5k HID's in my FF75's (low profile version free form) for a night or two just because I could.. and the light pattern was simply amazing!!

...These are going on my Ranger and I can't wait to use them...:bounce:

...My Project X has rock lights, 100w Pilots in the grill, and 9004 Silverstars...I've been night wheeling in the Ranger with only 9007 Silverstars...

...These will be put to use in the best place to use them...2 weeks out in the middle of the Mojave desert and Death Valley...I can't wait to check out the beam pattern there...:D

I didn't really like the beam pattern of the 700ff's, it was like a huge... circle.. but carried on for what seemed like a mile lol.

:\ just my opinion though.

...I thought the 700's would be overkill for either of my trucks...

...These will be on the front bumper between the headlights and they will be tight with their smaller size...If I don't like them there, I'll have to make a light rack up...Hoping for now I won't have to go that route yet...

...I heard the Hella's were on your Xmas list...:D

...The HID kits are in Huntington Beach...and San Diego for those down there...;)

How long can the wire be between the ballast and bulb?

I would like to put HIDs on the roof rack, but would prefer to mount the ballasts inside.

...I thought the 700's would be overkill for either of my trucks...

I've been thinking about two 700s and two 500s on the rack - which will probably affect gas mileage...

How long can the wire be between the ballast and bulb?

I would like to put HIDs on the roof rack, but would prefer to mount the ballasts inside.

...I just talked to DDM tuning for you...

...The wire is about only 12" between the light and the ballast...They do not sell any type of extension for in between and it would void warranty...

...It's going to be awhile before I'm out with any race trucks but I will check their set ups when I do...

...:scratch:...You should of asked that question when we were at Robby Gordon's shop...:p:

Which wire on the HID kit is the ground wire?

...No night pics yet sorry...

..Tried em and I like em...Thinking about adding some more lights but that will be later...:scratch:..I need to check both lenses too as I just smacked a concrete wall with them this weekend...No bumper thingy to stop me and whack...:D

...Which hid headlights did you do and were they the hi/low version?..Writeup on here?

Back