• Register Today It's free!

High Amp/Output Alternator

mike91

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EB
Where did you get yours from, are you satisfied with its performance and how much did it cost?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 130 amp motorsport altenator in place of what I believe was an 85 amp... so far no problems... I was thinking of upgrading to a 200-amp or dual altenators, never heard of anyone doing that in an Explorer and it would probably require a lot of custom work to get it in there, but it should be possible...

i have a 200amp alternator. It cost me $200 form Mr. Alternator.com. Worth the money. One of the cheapest places i have found yet.

Nate - I was thinking about getting that 200amp model from Mr Alternator.

Did you have to return your old alternator at that price?

Does it run warm?

It's powder coated, right?

Thanks!

Matt,

Is that the Ranger 130 Amp alternator? Does it bolt tirhgt up or did you have to modify anything? I was going to buy one but they didn't have one in stock at the dealer so I couldn't look at it to compare.

the one I got is supposedly for the explorer/ranger. Ryan Penner has the same altenator. We got them at Carquest (I have a bud that works there). Its a Motorsport reman. part.

Couple things:
Matt - How much did yours cost and did you have to return the old altenator as a core?

Mat & (Nate & Anyone else w/a Mr. Alternator) - when you received the alternator, did the pulley turn as freely as the stock unit? I purchased the 200amp unit and had it powder coated, but the damn pulley was harder to turn than the stock pulley and therefor, it put an added drag onto the engine. In addition, it wasn't charging my system properly and a couple times, the charging guage went to the red during idle. I believe this is probably isolated, but I returned the alternator for fear of damage to the engine or further wear from the added drag. I did receive a full refund though, no questions asked.

Thanks

I did have to return my altenator... I think it was around $170 or something like that.

I like my alternator. :D

It bolted right up minus having to swap the pulley out from the old one. It powers all my electrical stuff VERY well! Since I have a lot of that sort of stuff. :D (Yeah right!)

Back