high beams don't work - It's not bulbs, fuses, etc need wiring help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

high beams don't work - It's not bulbs, fuses, etc need wiring help

mbpiner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer eddie bauer
Hi guys, this is my first post I joined hoping you could help me.
Will probably stick around as I've been lurking here to figure out all of the other problems I've corrected to pass inspection so far - wiring a new horn, replacing sway bar links, replacing 02 sensor, etc - this forum is great!

One problem remains -
A few years ago, my high beams worked, but my low beams wouldn't.
I brought the issue to a mechanic who said it wasn't the switch. He said something about the computer would need to be replaced unless he jerry rigged it.

He wired my low beams through the high beam circuit, which means no high beams, and the low beams only come on when the combo switch is pushed forward to select high beams. I replaced a bulb awhile back so I know the bulbs aren't the culprit here. Replaced combo switch too.

I just checked out the wiring he did - there is a black wire spliced into the white-green wire coming from my each of my bulbs and leading to an aftermarket toggle switch mounted inside the vehicle, and another wire attached to the positive battery terminal is also running to this toggle switch. I'm thinking its also somehow wired into the combo switch or something because like I said it only comes on when I hit flash to pass or click the stick forward. I looked at my bulbs and I see what I think are two filaments - tiny spring looking things.
Only one lights up on low beams.

So essentially I need to get high beams and low beams running at the same time - I was thinking maybe I could just splice the white-green wire with the green wire(high beams and low beams together)? They're on the same bulb, is that even possible? Wouldn't that just light up both filaments? Isn't that what high beams are? I have just the normal cheap headlights if that helps.

I don't care about creating a safe, long term solution with relays/fuses here really - I just want to do what I need to do to pass inspection. They're told me they're just going to make sure my high and low beams turn on and it doesn't matter to them how its done just that they both come on - so an "unsafe" circuit connected directly to the battery doesn't really matter, I'll detach it right after inspection.

Is there any simple solution to this? Is it possible for both to come on at the same time?
If I'm not providing enough information let me know.

Thank you for any help you can give me, like I said this forum has already helped me bunches you guys are great.

Does your explorer have a lamp out warning module? If it failed completely you would lose the low beams.

Hi guys, this is my first post I joined hoping you could help me.
Will probably stick around as I've been lurking here to figure out all of the other problems I've corrected to pass inspection so far - wiring a new horn, replacing sway bar links, replacing 02 sensor, etc - this forum is great!

One problem remains -
A few years ago, my high beams worked, but my low beams wouldn't.
I brought the issue to a mechanic who said it wasn't the switch. He said something about the computer would need to be replaced unless he jerry rigged it.

He wired my low beams through the high beam circuit, which means no high beams, and the low beams only come on when the combo switch is pushed forward to select high beams. I replaced a bulb awhile back so I know the bulbs aren't the culprit here. Replaced combo switch too.

I just checked out the wiring he did - there is a black wire spliced into the white-green wire coming from my each of my bulbs and leading to an aftermarket toggle switch mounted inside the vehicle, and another wire attached to the positive battery terminal is also running to this toggle switch. I'm thinking its also somehow wired into the combo switch or something because like I said it only comes on when I hit flash to pass or click the stick forward. I looked at my bulbs and I see what I think are two filaments - tiny spring looking things.
Only one lights up on low beams.

So essentially I need to get high beams and low beams running at the same time - I was thinking maybe I could just splice the white-green wire with the green wire(high beams and low beams together)? They're on the same bulb, is that even possible? Wouldn't that just light up both filaments? Isn't that what high beams are? I have just the normal cheap headlights if that helps.

I don't care about creating a safe, long term solution with relays/fuses here really - I just want to do what I need to do to pass inspection. They're told me they're just going to make sure my high and low beams turn on and it doesn't matter to them how its done just that they both come on - so an "unsafe" circuit connected directly to the battery doesn't really matter, I'll detach it right after inspection.

Is there any simple solution to this? Is it possible for both to come on at the same time?
If I'm not providing enough information let me know.

Thank you for any help you can give me, like I said this forum has already helped me bunches you guys are great.
Someone mentioned a possible failure of the "Lamp Out Warning Module", which could be the "Computer" your mechanic thought was defective. Assuming your '96 is anything like my '98, I will take a look at the schematic and perhaps (don't hold your breath...) figure out what was his modification ( a silly one, if I may add my 2 cents opinion).
In any case, to answer your question, no, you defintely should not permanently connect both filaments of your 9007 bulbs. That will make them overheat and melt the socket - not to mention that you will be blinding people on the road.
By the way, are you in Canada (or somehow have the DRL (Daylight Running Lights) in the US? A failure of the DRL module is perhaps another reason for your problem.

Back