No High Beam Function

TommyEX

Reaction score
City, State
NY NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 5.0 XLT AWD
Hey Gang,

Recently during a stormy night, I tried to engage my high beams. When I flipped my lever forward, it shut off the headlights completely! :eek:

That was pretty unpleasant. Anyway, my low beams function properly. When pulling back on the lever, as if to flash the high beams, it does nothing. The low beams stay illuminated. Pushing forward shuts off the low beam lights and no high beams either.

My bulbs are good and so are my fuses. I don't have the message center. I'm thinking multifunction switch. The archives turned up a few hits but nothing concrete. Thanks in advance for you help gang.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd guess it is your multi-function switch as well. Let me know if you need a schematic diagram of the headlight function as I own the repair CD for the 96 models.

Mine is doing the same thing but i do not have low beams. i have been told that it is most likely the switch because its not too likely that both low beam relays will go out at the same time.

There are quite a few possibilities other than the multifunction switch, so let's not jump the gun here.

Without the schematics in front of me, I don't know the fuses offhand, but IIRC, the high beams on a 95 and 96 have a shared fuse before the switch (shared with the headlamps), and a second dedicated one between the switch and the high beams. There is no relay as the circuits are fed directly from the battery at all times. (hence the reason you can accidentally leave them on).

I'll see what I can dig up in the morning.

As for the 91, I can't be much help there. Again, I'd start with fuses, as well as a look at the wiring schematics. Doing some homework first will alleviate the need to replace parts unnecessarily.

-Joe

There it is!!! I was looking for that....

For this one, check fuse #(I can't make it out on my screen... 22??) 15A. That'll probably be blown. :)

-Joe

edit: Fuse 33. Dang laptop screens anyways!! LOL!

When you flip the switch, does the dash indicator come on? If not, I guarantee it's the fuse. If it does, the fuse is good; Replace your bulbs.

-Joe

Doh!!!

First, thanks to all for the responses. I appreciate them and the "helping hand" that goes with being a member of such a great forum. Thanks again guys.

My problem was nothing more than a missing fuse!!! Yes, the :censored: fuse was MISSING! For some reason, and I don't know why, my mechanic removed the fuse. I wanted to wait to catch my breath first before picking up the phone and saying something I might regret. I'm sure he has a perfectly good explanation about this. Anyway, I did test all fuses but obviously fuse 33 wasn't there to test so of course I couldn't test something that wasn't there. :rant:

Anyway, thanks again for steering me in the right direction GIJOECAM and all. :notworthy

Another "happy ending" thanks to the SE forum members! :)

Back