• Register Today It's free!

high idle at cold start up

utmustang88

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 EB
i have looked through 22 pages of posts for high idle and didnt find a similar case... so here's a new one for the boards. everybody talks about low idle and stalling; so how about i bring up high idle. i live in Ohio: weather the last couple of week 2*to 32*F.
in the morning(5:30am) when i go to start up my 96 eb 4x4 it starts up fine in the freezing weather, but the idle will jump to 1800 then fall to about 1400 and stay there.. what is normal idle? when i put it in D the rpms go down to the 900-1000(the 400 rpm drop cant be good) range and off i go. Even if i let the car sit for 5-7 mins it will still idle at 1400 rpm's...i get to work and let it sit for 2hours and come back out to it. I start it up and it idles at 1400rpm... BUT if i drive it around and then put it in park it will idle normal at 900-1000rpm.
i just bought the EX so im a little nervous and on gaurd for any little thing that is out of place. is it just the cold weather playing around with my truck and me being over protective? has anyone else had a high idle at start up and it stayed there? by the way... who ever made this site has done a great job by bringing all the explorer owners together!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1800rpm sounds a little high for a cold start up.

My X which is a 2000 Sport, (we have had single digits mornings as well), will go to about 1400 for about 10-15 seconds and then drop to 1100rpm's until warmed up that then idle at about 950-1000.

However, I'm sure that each vehicle has it's own different setting, but I still think 1800 is a little high from a cold start up. Anybody else?

I also agree 1800 is a little high. When I start up in the morning the RPMs got to around 1300-1400 and then slowly I watch as they drop to 1000. Once they hit 1000 and stay there I drive off. But I must say that I too think that 1800 is pretty high.

Sounds like a IAC problem:(

Yeah it could be a dirty IAC. It's that cylinder thing bolted to the drivers side of the upper intake. Should have an electrical connector pluged into it. It should be held on with 2 screws.

I vote for sticking IAC valve. Sticking open and letting in too much bypass air. When they stick closed, they don't let in enough and cause low idle speed.

thanks for the responses... i had the flu all weekend so i didnt get a chance to view the message board over the weekend. yea the cold starts at 1800 and will drop to 1400-1500 after 15secs... and then that is its final resting place. now if i let it sit for like 10mins + then it will drop to the normal 1000-1100. just wanted to add that little tid bit.

Back