Cold start Idle speed, is mine normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold start Idle speed, is mine normal?

ronbo256

Reaction score
City, State
Morristown,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 xlt
Hello everyone. I bought a '92 X sport XLT in November and I was wondering about the idle speed. My '89 ranger with a 2.9L never varied an RPM at idle, from start up to hot, but the X idles at 1400-1500 rpm for about 15-30 seconds, then slowly drops down to about 650-700 and stays steady there. Every cold start is the same. Is this normal? It's not worrisome, I just think it's not normal for a computer controlled engine, since all the other cars and trucks I've tested lately have no "fast idle" like I seem to have. Anyone got any ideas or should I just live with it and pretend I've got a 750 holley double pumper with an electric choke under the hood? I could wish for the 428 big block to sit under that carb also, LOL

That's a bit high (1000-1200) is perfectly normal. But as long as it stabilizes at 700 soon it's perfectly fine.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll take that off my things to wonder about list :)

Back