• Register Today It's free!

High Idle

HAUS

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Went to get my 95 Ex. smog checked today and it was idling too high per the shop and it would have failed if he ran the test. At least he didn't run it and cost me my $40.

It was idling at 1400 RPM and they said it should be at 800 RPM.

Anyone out there know where I should start to get this resolved?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too have the 95 XLT (5-spd), mine occasionally runs at about 1400 too but only for about 10-15 seconds at a red light after highway speeds. I wonder if it might be the MAF. Does it usually idle that high or just once in awhile?

Few things you can try. Some of them are in video how tos if you follow the link in my signature.
Clean MAF
Clean IAC
Clean Throttle body
Replace Coolant temperature sensor
Seafoam
Spark plugs

You guys mean the Mass Air Flow Sensor right?

And Sparky what is the IAC?

If these are both sensors where are they located and what should I check for to see if they are not working correctly?

Thanks

You guys mean the Mass Air Flow Sensor right?

And Sparky what is the IAC?

If these are both sensors where are they located and what should I check for to see if they are not working correctly?

Thanks

MAF = Mass air flow sensor. You are correct.
IAC= Idle Air Control Unit

Watch my removing the intake video. There is a link in my signature.

Thanks I'll check it out and let you guys know what I find.

Hey Sparky I watched your videos...great post.....and in regards to the sensors when you say to clean them are you talking about with the electric cleaner spray I saw in your video?

Don I was trying to remember if my Ex has always idled around 1400 rpm and I think it has..well at least since the last time it was smogged, but I thought it was doing that before even then. But would it have still passed?

I have an OBDI diagnostic device and I hooked it up last night. The KOEO test gives me an 11 code (Pass). But then I ran the Engine Running test and it gave me quite a bit of codes in relations to Sensors and fuel lean and Throttle continuously open. I didn't think I got a code directly indicating the MAF. My OBDI just gives flashes and beeps so I'm going to do it again tonight and verify the codes I get because it seems hard to get them down accurately with the beeps (to me anyways).

Any advice?

...Haus, where are you located...I didn't see it next to your name so some others near you can give you some other help or info..:scratch:

...Question...Your 95 Explorer is OBD1 and not OBDII..???...After your KOEO codes you should then get stored codes which it sounds like you didn't wait long enough for them...

..I also wouldn't overlook a vacuum leak or intake manifold gaskets but after you post all your other codes, we can eliminate some of the guess work...;)

Hey Tbars and everyone,

I am in Fresno,CA---Central CA in the San Joaquin Valley.

Ya my 95 is an OBDI. It actually has the hook up for an OBDII reader under the steering column area, but it doesn't work as I have tried an OBDII unit. After doing some research I learned that the 95 had both hookups for the most part, but only certain vin#'s (I guess the ones made later in the year) are actually set up for OBDII. Definitely a bummer because the OBDII units have digital displays.

I did run the KOEO test again last night and gave me another 11. I waited for a good five minutes and no more beeps came (stored codes). I then ran the Engine Running test and it gave me quite a bit of codes, most relating to what I posted previously. When I get off work I'll get the code numbers I wrote down and post them to see if you guys have any ideas.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Have a Good One....Haus

Hey Sparky I watched your videos...great post.....and in regards to the sensors when you say to clean them are you talking about with the electric cleaner spray I saw in your video?

Don I was trying to remember if my Ex has always idled around 1400 rpm and I think it has..well at least since the last time it was smogged, but I thought it was doing that before even then. But would it have still passed?

I have an OBDI diagnostic device and I hooked it up last night. The KOEO test gives me an 11 code (Pass). But then I ran the Engine Running test and it gave me quite a bit of codes in relations to Sensors and fuel lean and Throttle continuously open. I didn't think I got a code directly indicating the MAF. My OBDI just gives flashes and beeps so I'm going to do it again tonight and verify the codes I get because it seems hard to get them down accurately with the beeps (to me anyways).

Any advice?

MAF and Air temp sensor should be cleaned with electrical cleaner. You can clean the IAC and throttle body with carb cleaner.

Thanks for the compliments!

Alright the codes:

53: Dual Temp. Switch Circuit if always open. TPS sensor high.

85:?

36:?

63: TPS Sensor Low....this is the opposite of 53...not sure if this is possible.

24: ACT: Air Charge Temp. Sensor or VAT: Vane Air Temp Sensor voltage out of range....Intake Air Temp Sensor out of range.

41: EGO:Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor:voltage signal always "lean"-does not switch...No Heated Oxygen sesnor switch detected on the right side

This would seem as though there is a problem with almost every sensor in there!

Now that I have posted the codes what do you guys think now?

-Haus

Hey also when in Park my RPM is at about 1400 when it's idling in Drive it hovers at about 1000.

...Let's list them all...;)

53 #O TPS circuit above maximum 4.5 volts.
#C TPS circuit has intermittently failed above maximum 4.5 volts.

85 #O #R Canister Purge Solenoid circuit failure.

36 System Indicates Lean At Idle

63 #O TPS circuit below minimum 0.6 volts.

24 #O #C #R ACT sensor out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.

41 #C HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side).
#R No HEGO switching detected always lean (right side).

..:scratch:...My first thoughts with all these codes and with the ones they are, would be to think that you are having an electrical problem..This could be hard to chase as it could be as simple as replacing both of your battery cables...:dunno:

...It also may be due to a bad alternator that would need to be bench tested to verify or it could be the computer itself...But I believe this all stems from lower than normal voltage or over voltage due to the above mentioned or even bad grounds...Could possible even by shorted wires in the engine compartment...

...I'm hoping some others would join in here and see what they might have to say first..;)

Woooh, nellie!!

Before going any further, check the simple stuff... Adjust the idle stop screw so that it's not making any contact with the throttle plate. There should be a visible gap when the throttle is fully closed.

Check for any obvious vacuum leaks.

Check the throttle position sensor. Make sure it is, in fact, reading a closed position.

Clear the codes and see what comes back.

That's where I'd start.

Alright the codes:

53: Dual Temp. Switch Circuit if always open. TPS sensor high.

85:?

36:?

63: TPS Sensor Low....this is the opposite of 53...not sure if this is possible.

24: ACT: Air Charge Temp. Sensor or VAT: Vane Air Temp Sensor voltage out of range....Intake Air Temp Sensor out of range.

41: EGO:Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor:voltage signal always "lean"-does not switch...No Heated Oxygen sesnor switch detected on the right side

This would seem as though there is a problem with almost every sensor in there!

Now that I have posted the codes what do you guys think now?

-Haus

1st thought: Double and triple check the codes you are getting: a '95 should be outputting 3 digit codes.

2nd thought: When you have a "laundry list" of codes, you want to start with the KOEO (aka hard fault) codes. Be sure to identify which part of the test each code came from. If you are uncertain how to distinguish KOEO and CM codes, review my notes on pulling EEC-IV codes thread in the EEC-IV forum. Once you are getting 111 from the KOEO test, then work on KOER codes until you get 111 from the KOER test. Then clear CM and see what codes come back.

3rd thought: With a high idle, one of the first things I'd look for would be a vacuum leak.

On previous tests I was getting 3 digit codes, but on the tests I ran this week they were just 2 digit.

All 3 times I ran the test this week (KOEO) I got a 11-Pass.

All of the codes I posted above are from the KOER tests and they were all 2 digit. I'm pretty sure the manual I have for my code reader says they will be 2 digit...but after your input Shorty I am now second guessing. My 95 is an OBD-I if that matters.

I'm getting off early today and will triple check the codes and check the other advice I got this morning from all of you guys and report back.

Thanks to all for your advice. I really appreciate it.

-Haus

High Idle Culprit................The Throttle Stop Screw! Thanks for pointing the obvious out to me Joe!

It was screwed in way too far and making contact with the throttle plate. I had to unscrew it almost half an inch. As soon as I gapped it I started my car and got the RPM right around 900!

So I decided to test my luck and went to get it smogged....IT PASSED!!

I am so happy. I will probably run the self test again tonight or tomorrow morning and see if I still get any codes.

I don't know if any of you have seen my previous posts but my Ex was in bad shape when I got it back from my brother after almost 2 years. It sat for over 6 months with him until I got it back. When I first got it it wouldn't even turn over let alone start. Through hooking up will all of you here at Explorer Forum she's just about where I had her 2 years ago. Today alone I put a new set of tires on her, got here smogged and new tags! She is finally legal and safe again! The next step is to put new rotors and pads on the rear (if anyone can provide me to the best thread on here for that job would be much appreciated). I plan to tackle that job this weekend.

A big thank you to all of you who gave me your advice on my problem. I really do appreciate it.

I'll post again here after I run the self test to let you all know if the codes are still coming up.

Have a Cold One on Me....Haus

...That is fantastic news and I'm really glad it wasn't any of the problems I had mentioned..:biggthump

..I am curious on what the results will be on re-reading the codes...I know you passed but the code 85 I would think, would not be related at all to the throttle adjustment..:dunno:

Alright ran the self tests again this morning and the results are:

KOEO: 111-Pass Hard Code
111-Pass Continuous Memory

Engine Running: The Same

So as it looks now everything seems to be running correctly with my Ex!

I'll be driving it regulary this week for the first time since I got it back. I'll report anything I find with you all.

Thanks again!

-Haus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back