High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got some issues with mine, but I won't spend a dime on it anymore. Just waiting for it to die. Not worth much anymore. But, it won't die. I just recently turned 162K miles on my '97 SOHC XLT and just like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going and going and going and going...

WOW, lots of high milage trucks out there. Our 99 only has 119,000.

199136 and still going strong. no mahjor issues to date

My 2001 XLT has 223,000 miles on it, same engine, same transmission, never babied. Runs as fine as the day I got it.

226000 on 2001 4in superlift; 3in body lift; 33's; 456's; new transfer case 220000.

270K on my '97 XLT OHV 4WD with manual tranmission. First major repair was to replace the transfer case with a used one last year, which cost me about $235. Can't fault the truck for that one, I blew it doing heavy downshifting pulling an overweight trailer. It still got me home and to the mechanic.

This has been by far the most reliable vehicle I have had in over 40 years of ownership. It is no longer my main DD (have an '08 Mustang GT for that), but still does regular service locally and around the farm and the vehicle my son drives when he goes on trips.

=Vic=

103k on my 98 XLT. Just replaced the original wires and plugs @ 100k. Also replaced the upper/lower control arms and brakes all around (It still had the original rear brake pads). Other than the usuall chain noise at start-up. run GREAT!

173K and running like a champ!

not my explorer but my dads company truck.
2001 model with 243,000 miles on its sohc.
The timing chains and everything is original except tires and stuff that is a must with any vehicle.

178,500 on 2001 4.0 SOHC... so far nothing too bad that i couldnt handle, just did all 4 ball joints, front hub/bearing assemblies, sway bar links, and now am in the process of changing bank 2 sensor 2 o2 sensor

153,000 on my 98 Eddie Bauer V6. I do 95% of the work on her, all the usual wear and tear parts. 5w30 with a full bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer each oil change, she runs cool and quiet and I commute from Long Island to either Queens or the Bronx every day. Bought her with 85k on her and its been the best vehicle I have owned. Ease of maint., she tows my boat no prob, road trips are a blast. Love my truck!!!

Don't get mad everyone...maybe I should have started another thread?

But, I have a very lucky 53k mile 99 Exp SPORT 4WD, that I purchased a couple of years ago from a retired man that had 'NEVER' used the 4WD. Thankfully it works perfectly.

I am only posting to talk about how wonderfully helpful this website is. When I got the truck, I read all of the postings I could get my eyes on here! I learned of the common reoccuring issues the trucks all seem to have, and got right to it proactively. Knowing I was gonna keep this beautiful rig for some time...I went to Ford and paid to have the timing chain tensioner campaign done. The motor is whisper quiet upon every start-up now. As well, reading that the 5R55e trannys are crap, I removed the filter (39k miles) and replaced, but drilled the pan and installed a drain plug, of which when drained evry other oil change, requires exactly 6 qts to top back off. Thus, the fluid is still to this day shiny red!

Then, lastly, I heard all the horror stories of the rear ends whining at 80k mi., so I bought a Mag Hytek rear diff. cover with cooling fins and extra capacity. Not to mention, changed ALL of the other vehicle fluids, to include the brake fluid , with a power flush. Just replaced the original (warranty replaced-rollover recall tires) that still had great tread on them, but had 2001 production dates on all of them! One was starting to howl.

I have had the luxury of buying a newer (old) Exploder with the clock turned forward to know what to fix prematurely! For that... I sincerely thank ALL of you on this site! This is my snow car, and is nicer than most people's regular vehicles. My other car that sits in the garage all winter is an '07 GT500 Mustang, which I have happened to make my Exploder look sorta like.

Cheers, Bikeboy:)

97 xlt 4x4 149380 needs upper and lower ball joints,a/c not working,and working on i think a bad ujoint engine runs:thumbsup: perfectly no timing chain issues and no oil consumption.

255,000 kilometers,timing chain,cassetts and sprockets done under warranty at 100,000. Tranny original, filter and fluid done 3 times. Transfer case original,fluid changed twice. Well maintained truck. Just changed the original rad & water pump in the past couple of weeks. Usual issues we live with are sloppy steering and the blend door problem. To lazy to fix blend door and no one really has a fix for the sloppy steering. Bottom line the truck dosen't owe us anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

almost 209k miles and many more to come :D. (original engine, trans & TC)

Back