• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage STA

nygbrad

Reaction score
City, State
Longwood, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Hey I haven't been on here in a few years as I traded my 05 Explorer for a 11 Fusion. Looking into getting a truck and keep going back to a STA. I drive around 20-25K per year for work and wanting to get rid of my Fusion with 136K on it.

Question is how are the STA's with high mileage? My 05 Explorer (4.0L) did great until I got over 150K and then had some intermittent transmission issues, so I traded it in. Are the 6-speeds more reliable than the 5's?

Everyone is proud of the STA's and I can't blame them but $20K for a low mileage is to pricey for me being I put a lot of miles on my cars. I found a local 08 STA with 124K on it for under $13K and was wondering if it's worth it (has a clean Carfax) or should I just stay away from high mileage Fords?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Nygbrad.

If you are going for a high mileage Sport Trac, I would look for a '09/'10 as most of the bugs were worked out. I have only 46k on my 2010, and no major issues.

However, as I'm sure you know...a lot of it will depend on the previous owner(s). I have seen 2yr old Honda Civics trashed with less than 30k miles.

When you are looking at a '08 Sport Trac with 125k already on the odometer...I would be concerned with how it was taken care of those 8+ years. The maintenance may quickly bring up the vehicle yearly cost to a lot more than a lower mileage vehicle.

If you are just looking for a commuter vehicle...does it 'have' to be a truck? You can pick up a much newer econo car with very low miles for the $13k and may even still have a warranty.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

John
2010 STA

Yeah I think you're right. I called and there is a deposit on the STA anyway. I want a truck but not really practical for what I do. I think I am going to look into a small SUV like an Escape or Equinox.

Thanks for the input!!

Back