High Pitch Sound From Engine | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Pitch Sound From Engine

Any updates on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last week, parts mgr. said fan is back ordered and they are "shipping 100 here and 300 there" so I guess this is a bigger problem than thought. Oh yes, I'm on "emergency list" and still waiting. This is not good!:roll:

I had my Edge in for service and brought up the high pitch sound. We listened we heard it and the dealer after checking several others found that the sound was common to all of them and deemed normal. They don't know what exactly is making the noise.

Our '11 Ex just developed the fan shutdown noise... I have a call to the dealer, trying to find out if the fan squeal is just the beginning of an imminent fan failure with subsequent engine overheating issue...

A co-worker has an early build '11 EX and his AC is not blowing cold, I told him he most likely has the fan issue as well.
My prediction is that we will see a much larger number of failed fans as we move into summer.

jeff59rt1 & Bohunk,

I’m sorry to hear that the fan you need for the repair isn’t available, and I would like to escalate this for you. Would you mind sending a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage so I can have this looked into further?

Our '11 Ex just developed the fan shutdown noise... I have a call to the dealer, trying to find out if the fan squeal is just the beginning of an imminent fan failure with subsequent engine overheating issue...
I posted on another thread offering my help for your concern but I wanted to post here in case you didn’t see it. I would like to assist with resolving your concern if you would PM me with the info I mentioned above.

Cory

My prediction is that we will see a much larger number of failed fans as we move into summer.

Based on the number of reported fan failures on facebook today, It seems that unfortunately I might not have been off with my above statement...

I was one of those FB posters. I started hearing the high pitched noise about 2 weeks ago. This past weekend my fan must have failed because my engine overheated while idling with AC on. Anyone hearing that high pitched noise may want to test their fan by leaving X idling in drive with AC on Max. When I did this, with temp 80+ outside, it only took about 5 minutes for engine to almost reach max temp.

Dealer told me yesterday he was having a fan sent overnight to the dealer. I think I'll be calling today to make sure it was not back-ordered.

always amazed by this site, good find guys. glad to see FordCustSrvc to pass along the wealth of info here, and the fact FORD: Built without your tax dollars.. (I need a sticker), hopefully they also listen to us :)..

Now back to my 02 tranny :(

I was one of those FB posters. I started hearing the high pitched noise about 2 weeks ago. This past weekend my fan must have failed because my engine overheated while idling with AC on. Anyone hearing that high pitched noise may want to test their fan by leaving X idling in drive with AC on Max. When I did this, with temp 80+ outside, it only took about 5 minutes for engine to almost reach max temp.

Dealer told me yesterday he was having a fan sent overnight to the dealer. I think I'll be calling today to make sure it was not back-ordered.
I’m sure Jamie is helping to take care of you over on Facebook, but feel free to message me if you need assistance. I already have your Explorer’s info from previous messages so all I would need is your approximate mileage and dealer name.

lonestar, I agree that this is an amazing community and I’m happy to lend a hand. Let me know if you find/make that sticker!

Cory

Fans replaced no more noise!!!!!!.....asked dealer to fix a pillar issues stated they never heard of any....here we go!

Update

Just doing an update to my post back in March. I had the same fan noise up until I hit around 3,000 miles, and the noise just stopped one day. Just hit 7,000 and still no fan noise to this day. Hope this helps ease some concerns.

So is this a formal fan unit recall yet?

R

Back