• Register Today It's free!

High Pressure in Air Conditioning

TN Explorer 1000

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
This is my first post - Great Forum!! Thanks for all the great info!!

The Air Conditioning line that runs across the top of the radiator had a leak in it so I had it changed out (2005 Explorer) by a trusted mechanic. Naturally they had to bleed the AC system and then refill it after they replaced the line with the leak. Now when you turn on the AC, the new line flaps against the top of the radiator for about 10 seconds.

I hooked up a set of AC gages to the High and Low end. They are balanced at about 100 psi with the AC off. When you start the AC, the pressure on the high end jumps to about 400 psi then calms down to about 150-200 psi after about 10 seconds. The low end gage reads about 45 psi.The 400 psi at Air Conditioning start up seems awful high. Is this normal? Would air in the AC line cause this? I think this high pressure causes the "flapping" against the radiator shroud at the time of AC startup.

Any thoughts would be apprecaited!

Welcome to the forum.

Those pressures sound just fine. If there was any air in the system it wouldn't work. Normal air contains moisture and R-134a can not handle more than about 5 parts per million. Most likely a clamp is missing.

Thanks for the response! Why is it normal that the pressure would be so high at startup? What causes this? Thanks.

Back