High Speed Shake

ridge903

Reaction score
City, State
Pheonix, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ranger FX4
Here is my issue...

I have a 98 2 door 5 speed explorer that has a highway speed shake anytime i get on the Highway and i do over 60 mph i get this shake most the time but not always... items that have been replaced with no fix...

All 4 tires rotated and balanced
New upper and lower ball joints
new tie rod ends
I see no play in the u-joints but may replace these next

Any other suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What shakes, can you narrow it down? Does it feel like it's in the steering wheel? front end? or rear end? Can you notice trends in it? Does it go away or get worse while going around a bends at highway speeds?

It may help the forum narrow down your problem, so far it seems like your on the right track to figure it out.

I have a 97 that also has hi-speed shake, I have replaced all 4 tires, upper control arms, lower ball joints, tie rods(all Moog)under carriage parts, as well as new rotors and brake pads and Bilstein shocks on all four corners. The problem is at speeds over 60 and I don't believe its coming from the front end, I suspect that its working its way forward from the rear. I can't seem to get rid of it, Oh I've had the tires balanced several times, Goodyear Wranglers AT and still no improvement. I don't think its the driveshaft, but I would have suspected that if it was I would have found some kind of damage from that at possibly a tranny seal or a pinion seal worn. If you can have someone else drive it and you follow in another car and follow around it and look at whats bouncing maybe you can spot something. If you get any clues please post it.

It is on highway speeds only and it comes and goes... it feels more like a drivetrain shake then a suspension shake... and it only does it on highway have no issues at all while driving on main access roads and around town..

OEM wheels, or aftermarket?

Original OEM wheels for me. Is there some kind of defect for these rims? I have Goodyear Wrangler RT/S on all four wheels.

oem wells with recommended tire size being ran.... my hands being washed of the truck tho purchasing a 1995 f-150 5speed with 4.9L inline 300 6 cyl

check the tail end of the transfer case. sounds like what mine is doing and i can take my drive shaft at the back end of the transfer case and wiggle it up down left right all it is is the bushing or bearing is wore out and needs to be rebuilt

High speed shaking

Don't have a transfer case, its a 4 door 2wd model. checked the shaft and universal look good no play whatsoever. There got to be some kind of answer what am I overlooking. help please

have you had the tires balanced, rotated, and aligned?

w/ a 2WD there's minimal parts up front to cause a shake like what you're describing.

highspeed shake

yes, balanced several times at different loctions, had it alligned, and the complete frond undercarriage is new. upper,lower ball joints, tie rods, and rotors and brakes, tires too.

I'd jack up one wheel at a time and check for play in and out, up and down, side to side, etc. Look carefully at u-joints, some appear ok at first look. If that's ok I'd look at diff. If the vibration was up front I'd say rack might have air in it or be bad.

Tires

I've got a set of Wrangles where one set (2) give me the shake when their on the front. The other two are perfectly smooth when their on the front.

I'll never buy another set of Good Years again. Got the same issue with a set of Comfortread's on my Maxima. There's one tire, that no matter how many times I balance it, even roadforce balance it causes a slight vibration when It's on the front end.

Maybe a broken belt in one of the tires?

its like a rhythmic vibration?

wheel bearings....probably inner....

that solved mine. at like 65 it started to shake almost uncontrollably

let me know when you fix it...since its cheap

Back