Hitch Drop & Length 2017 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hitch Drop & Length 2017 XLT

I've got a 2017 XLT with the factory Class III Tow package and Appearance Package (20" wheels). Trying to figure out what drop and length I should get for my hitch. I'll only be hauling occasionally (u-hauls or possibly tandem axle utility trailers). From what I can see online, a lot of trailers have a coupler height of 17-18 inches (don't have one of my own anymore to measure). Top of my hitch receiver was about 22.5 inches, so I'm guessing I should get a 4 inch drop. If I need to account for some sag once the trailer is connected, I may need to go with a 2-3" drop.

I'm also wondering what hitch length I should get (haven't been able to find as much advice on how to determine this). I'll probably go with a 2 inch ball since that should fit any trailers I'd pull as well.

Any suggestions for what has worked for y'all?

Very hard to answer the questions without more specifics. Different trailers have different coupler heights. I have seen hitches that mount to receivers that have an adjustable height. If you got one of those you could adjust it as needed. Just pull a pin, put the hitch at the height you want, and replace the pin. As far as length goes, I like keeping the ball as close to the tow vehicle as possible. Can't really give a reason just a personal opinion. The closer to the vehicle the less the trailer is able to move it around (sway, bounce, etc).

I would wait until you have a need, then buy the drawbar that you need.
Or, get an adjustable shank model.

Back