Hitch mount tire carrier? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hitch mount tire carrier?

The departure angle is lost a bit but that 2" steel can take alot of abuse.

I've seen the fold down kind, the one that are similiar to the rear basket/cage and they do rattle alot. Mine doesn't rattle anything noticible. If it bothered me then I could just ratchet strap it to my hitch.

I like the hitch spare and use it all the time when I go camping in the desert I'm usually hours away from any type of tire repair shop. Thats why I carry a slightly worn 31" tire under in the stock location all the time for around town & extra, Camping I usually put a 33" on top and a 33" on the hitch carrier. I spent almost a year trying to find 33's so I know that the only 33" I have to use is the one I bring.

The one other thing that I like about the carrier is that it makes a great ladder to the top. I also use it to hold my water jug/shower. And use it as a easy tow point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, you want one of these; I had it made in 2000.

tirecarrier-001.jpg

tirecarrier-002.jpg

tirecarrier-003.jpg

I gave it to a friend - only had problems with angle once, and that was a steep vertical ledge about 4ft high.

If ypu put one on that blocks your license plate you'll get a ticket and or fail state inspection. I had the one that Explorer Express sold years ago, I had to relocate my license plate.

I could just put the plate on the tire.
-E

Originally posted by PAExplorer
I could just put the plate on the tire.
-E

Wanna do a photoshop of that? :p hehe

Back