• Register Today It's free!

Hole in brake line !

Jarrett088

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Burnie,Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
My rear drivers side brake line just sprouted a nice leak. I pulled out of the store and the pedal just went to the floor:eek: I got out and looked around and found brake fluid all over the inside of my rear tire. I had my buddy push the pedal and the fluid just shot out all over. Fortunately, it happened right before the connection/union goes to the rear wheel. I searched but couldn't find anything on replacing a stock brake line. Has anybody ever replaced this line? Can I unbolt it and put a new line in? Can I buy a replacement line that will bolt right back up to it without having to fab it myself? How hard is it, what does the line cost, or how much do you think a shop would soak me to do it?

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can use a thing called a compression fitting..... this will go it place of the hole.... and its used like plumbing pipes..... if you know how they work.

Yea, I thought about that as a quick fix, but I'm worried about the rest of the line sprouting more holes. I really want to get it replaced. I've got a Haynes, but its not really clear on replacing this line. I'm also not really sure about the warning they have about bleeding an ABS system. I think the 94 has one, but the book confuses me more by saying, if I don't disconnect the master cylinder I wont have to bleed the ABS.:confused:

Back up for air !:D

Before you replace it, make sure it was not rubbing on something to make it blow. It does sound weird how it just blew withg out leaking first. Maybe somebody doesn't like you and slashed it:(

It's just a pin-hole,definitely not cut (although I'm not a detective).The line is pretty rusted and has some whitesh residue on it. I bought it used and did a carfax(?) on it and it came from up New England area. My guess is.. lots of snow,salt and what not has finally taken its toll. I just checked it again and the only possible thing that could have made the hole, is a wiring harness that runs pretty close to it. That maybe helped .

Best thing to do is replace the brakeline with a new one. It just bolts in place. You can purchase a new one from any parts store, or have one bent at a garage. Shouldn't cost more than about $15-20 for the line MAX. They are pretty easy to install. Unbolt the old one, bolt the new one in and bleed the brakes.

Upon further inspection it was indeed the wiring that wore a hole in the brake line. The brake line runs down the frame,behind the gas tank and up to the front. I think the tank will have to be dropped to get it out. The lines all one piece all the way up to the front. I'm gonna let my friends shop take care of this one. He won't soak me too much. You guys may wanna take a look underneath and make sure this wiring is not rubbing against your line. It happened under the drivers side rear,where the line goes onto the frame:fire:

Tim

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Woo-Hoo !! Back on the road with new brake line,brake system flush and tranny flush. The wiring that caused the problem was secured. When I got home, my new shackles were delivered. Can't wait for my spacers to get here! I may put my manual hubs on tomorrow if I have time.

Tim

Back